The latest film from director Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees) will open the 18th annual Urbanworld Film Festival, organizers of the largest competitive multicultural fest said today. Beyond the Lights stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle, Larry Crowne), Nate Parker (Red Tails, The Great Debaters), Minnie Driver (Good Will Hunting) and Emmy Award nominee Danny Glover (The Color Purple, Lethal Weapon) in the tale of a rising musician struggling with the pressures of superstardom. BET Networks and founding sponsor HBO are backers of the fest which will take place September 17-21 in New York. Over 70 films are set to screen this year. Beyond The Lights will screen on September 18 ahead of its November 14 wide release via Relativity, which produced alongside Relativity Sports, Undisputed Cinema and Homegrown Pictures in association with BET Films. Other highlights of the 2014 slate include a screening of HBO Latino’s Habla Men and the Urban Underground transmedia platform highlighting maverick content creators whose work transcends art, music, and technology.
Relativity’s ‘Beyond The Lights’ To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Brothers Grimsby': Trailer Or Titillating Clip "Shown" On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' – Which Works Better?
Latest Film News
- ‘Mother’s Day’ Trailer: Roberts, Aniston, Hudson & Sudeikis Celebrate Momhood
- Russell Simmons’ All Def Movie Awards Set To Brings Laughs & Honor Oscars Snubs
- Michael Moore Sidelined As ‘Where To Invade Next’ Opens – Specialty Preview
- Oscar Best Picture Smackdown: Deadline’s Pete Hammond Vs Gold Derby’s Tom O’Neil Both Asking, “What The Hell Is Going On?”…
- Four Studios Bidding On ‘Gone Girl’ Author Gillian Flynn’s Short Story ‘The Grownup’: Hot Package…
- Oscars: Pete Hammond Handicaps An Unusually Strong Best Actress Race – AwardsLine