The latest film from director Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees) will open the 18th annual Urbanworld Film Festival, organizers of the largest competitive multicultural fest said today. Beyond the Lights stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle, Larry Crowne), Nate Parker (Red Tails, The Great Debaters), Minnie Driver (Good Will Hunting) and Emmy Award nominee Danny Glover (The Color Purple, Lethal Weapon) in the tale of a rising musician struggling with the pressures of superstardom. BET Networks and founding sponsor HBO are backers of the fest which will take place September 17-21 in New York. Over 70 films are set to screen this year. Beyond The Lights will screen on September 18 ahead of its November 14 wide release via Relativity, which produced alongside Relativity Sports, Undisputed Cinema and Homegrown Pictures in association with BET Films. Other highlights of the 2014 slate include a screening of HBO Latino’s Habla Men and the Urban Underground transmedia platform highlighting maverick content creators whose work transcends art, music, and technology.
Relativity’s ‘Beyond The Lights’ To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Team
- David Muir Asks Obama If He Will Visit Cuba In ABC News Exclusive - Video
- Legendary Options Andrew Pyper's 'The Damned'
- Channing Tatum, Craig Zadan & Neil Meron Launch 'Team Oscar'
- Bryan Singer Sex Abuse Accuser Indicted For Fraud
- FilmBuff To Bow Matthew Gray Gubler & Kat Dennings Starrer 'Suburban Gothic'
- Shonda Rhimes To Receive WGA West's 2015 Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award For TV