The latest film from director Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees) will open the 18th annual Urbanworld Film Festival, organizers of the largest competitive multicultural fest said today. Beyond the Lights stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle, Larry Crowne), Nate Parker (Red Tails, The Great Debaters), Minnie Driver (Good Will Hunting) and Emmy Award nominee Danny Glover (The Color Purple, Lethal Weapon) in the tale of a rising musician struggling with the pressures of superstardom. BET Networks and founding sponsor HBO are backers of the fest which will take place September 17-21 in New York. Over 70 films are set to screen this year. Beyond The Lights will screen on September 18 ahead of its November 14 wide release via Relativity, which produced alongside Relativity Sports, Undisputed Cinema and Homegrown Pictures in association with BET Films. Other highlights of the 2014 slate include a screening of HBO Latino’s Habla Men and the Urban Underground transmedia platform highlighting maverick content creators whose work transcends art, music, and technology.
Relativity’s ‘Beyond The Lights’ To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill O'Reilly Defends Comments That Slaves Who Built The White House Were "Well-Fed And Had Decent Lodging" - Update
Latest Film News
- Comedy Pic ‘Poms’ In Works With Sierra/Affinity Aboard
- ‘The Fighter’ Scribes To Co-Write Movie About Leicester City’s Hollywood-Ending English Soccer Season
- New Line Sets Sequel To Fright Sensation 'Lights Out'
- Anne Heche Plays Killer’s Mom In ‘My Friend Dahmer’
- ‘The Life And Death Of John Gotti’ Cast Locked
- Ben Foster Rounds Out Scott Cooper’s ‘Hostiles’ Cast As Shooting Starts