The latest film from director Gina Prince-Bythewood (Love and Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees) will open the 18th annual Urbanworld Film Festival, organizers of the largest competitive multicultural fest said today. Beyond the Lights stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Belle, Larry Crowne), Nate Parker (Red Tails, The Great Debaters), Minnie Driver (Good Will Hunting) and Emmy Award nominee Danny Glover (The Color Purple, Lethal Weapon) in the tale of a rising musician struggling with the pressures of superstardom. BET Networks and founding sponsor HBO are backers of the fest which will take place September 17-21 in New York. Over 70 films are set to screen this year. Beyond The Lights will screen on September 18 ahead of its November 14 wide release via Relativity, which produced alongside Relativity Sports, Undisputed Cinema and Homegrown Pictures in association with BET Films. Other highlights of the 2014 slate include a screening of HBO Latino’s Habla Men and the Urban Underground transmedia platform highlighting maverick content creators whose work transcends art, music, and technology.
Relativity’s ‘Beyond The Lights’ To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- J.J. Abrams To Receive VES Society's Visionary Award
- Elisabeth Moss Joins Cast Of 'Truth', Pic Based On Rathergate Scandal
- Broad Green Finds 'Eden', Music Box Jams With 'Mekons'
- Riley Keough To Topline Steven Soderbergh's 'The Girlfriend Experience' On Starz
- 'Fishing Without Nets' Trailer: Somali Pirate Drama
- Global Showbiz Briefs: South Korea Submits 'Sea Fog' For Foreign-Language Oscar Race; Winnie Lau Joins Jet Tone Films