A new trailer for the Antonio Banderas sci-fi thriller Automata recently dropped, and dare we say it looks just as riveting as Tom Cruise’s sleek sci-fi 2013 film Oblivion. In Automata, directed by Spanish director Gabe Ibanez, Banderas looks to be dealing with, well, a pending robot uprise. It’s 2044 and robots, who’ve just about had it with their second-class citizenship status, are now altering themselves — a big no no in the future — and turning on their creators. The robots reach out to Banderas’ character, Jacq Vaucan, an insurance agent who is investigating their odd advancement. One can’t decide what’s better in the trailer: the cinematic desert landscape shots, the slick vfx or co-star Melanie Griffith’s beauty pageant cadence as she brings Banderas up-to-speed on the robot scene: “A machine altering itself is a very complex concept; self-preparing implies some idea of a conscious.” Millennium Entertainment is releasing the film on Oct. 10.
Hot Trailer: Antonio Banderas In ‘Automata’
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
'Timeless' EP Eric Kripke On The Moment He Realized He Was Telling A James Bond Story — AwardsLine Screening Series
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
Latest Film News
- Sony’s Pictures Division Reports Loss Of $719M; Company’s Overall Net Profit Takes 50% Hit
- ‘Firestarter’: Stephen King Classic Reignites With Universal, Blumhouse & Akiva Goldsman Directing
- Tribeca Film Festival Winners: ‘Keep The Change’, ‘Bobbi Jene’ Tops
- Broad Green Pictures Hires Four Execs In Marketing & Legal Departments
- ‘Little Prince’s Mark Osborne & Scribe Adam Kline Link With Fox Animation For Two New Projects
- ‘3 Generations’: Weinstein Co. & MPAA Agree On PG-13 Rating, With GLAAD’s Backing & Some Cuts