EXCLUSIVE: Hot Cannes seller Equals has been steadily casting up over the past several weeks as it preps for an August start in Japan and Singapore. Already on board are Nicholas Hoult, Kristen Stewart, Guy Pearce, Kate Lyn Sheil and Aurora Perrineau. I’ve learned that two-time Oscar-nominated Australian actress Jacki Weaver is also now in negotiations to join the futuristic love story that’s being helmed by Drake Doremus from a script by Moon‘s Nathan Parker. The picture is set in a future society where emotions have been eradicated and the new breed of humans is called Equals. When “Switched-On Syndrome” infects Silas (Hoult), he becomes an outcast. Nia (Stewart) suffers from the same condition, but is able to hide her emotions. The only way for them to ensure their survival is to escape. Weaver would play Bess, a powerful woman trained as a doctor. She meets Silas in a support group and ultimately helps both Silas and Nia. Producers are Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer, Ann Ruark, and Jay Stern and Chip Diggins of Route One which is also financing. Weaver received her most recent Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination for 2012’s Silver Linings Playbook and is next up in Woody Allen’s Magic In The Moonlight as well as Gracepoint, Fox’s adaptation of hit British drama Broadchurch. She’s repped by ICM Partners, Elevate Entertainment and Felker Toczek Suddelson.
Drake Doremus’ Futuristic Love Story ‘Equals’ Sweet On Jacki Weaver
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Paramount Whistleblower: Emails Reveal Studio Officials Tried To "Freak Her Out"
- ‘Woman In Gold’ Review: Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds A Great Pair In Remarkable Story
- Sony Taps Nielsen NRG Exec For Film Research Role
- Colin Trevorrow’s Next Page? Helming ‘Book Of Henry’ For SKE
- Emily Blunt Takes Bite Of ‘Animal Crackers'; ‘Neon Demon’ Cast Is Set – Film Briefs
- Sony Taps Jay Basu To Write ‘Metal Gear Solid’