After five weeks in release, and just before it hits its last overseas market, Disney’s Sleeping Beauty spinoff Maleficent is poised to cross $600M worldwide today. The studio notes this is its 2nd release of the year to pass the threshold, and its 20th ever. Directed by Robert Stromberg and starring Angelina Jolie, the film started rolling out internationally on May 28 and opened in North America on May 30. It bowed there at No. 1 with $69.4M and has remained in the Top Five since. It crossed $200M domestically this weekend, and through July 1 is at $205M. At the weekend, it hit $383.7M at the international box office, having added $18.3M in 54 overseas territories. It is the 4th highest grossing film of the year and Jolie’s biggest live-action film of her career. The biggest offshore markets have been Mexico, currently at $43.2M, and China where it opened June 20 and has taken in nearly $40M. Maleficent is expected to surpass $400M overseas just ahead of its July 5 debut in Japan where, I suspect, it may finally be the film that dethrones Frozen. The latter, also a Disney movie, has been No. 1 for 16 consecutive weeks but saw one of its bigger drops this past frame, adding $2.7M.
Angelina Jolie-Starrer ‘Maleficent’ Casting $600M Worldwide Spell
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- ’50 Shades’ Now Uni’s Biggest R-Rated Film Overseas; Nears $500M Global B.O.
- Darrin Prescott & Wade Allen ‘Live!’ In Feature Helming Debut For The Solution
- ‘Spectre’ Director Sam Mendes On Why He Came Back To Bond After ‘Skyfall’
- BAFTA Los Angeles Names Chantal Rickards To New CEO Post
- ‘A Little Chaos': Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet Stroll Versailles Gardens – Trailer