After five weeks in release, and just before it hits its last overseas market, Disney’s Sleeping Beauty spinoff Maleficent is poised to cross $600M worldwide today. The studio notes this is its 2nd release of the year to pass the threshold, and its 20th ever. Directed by Robert Stromberg and starring Angelina Jolie, the film started rolling out internationally on May 28 and opened in North America on May 30. It bowed there at No. 1 with $69.4M and has remained in the Top Five since. It crossed $200M domestically this weekend, and through July 1 is at $205M. At the weekend, it hit $383.7M at the international box office, having added $18.3M in 54 overseas territories. It is the 4th highest grossing film of the year and Jolie’s biggest live-action film of her career. The biggest offshore markets have been Mexico, currently at $43.2M, and China where it opened June 20 and has taken in nearly $40M. Maleficent is expected to surpass $400M overseas just ahead of its July 5 debut in Japan where, I suspect, it may finally be the film that dethrones Frozen. The latter, also a Disney movie, has been No. 1 for 16 consecutive weeks but saw one of its bigger drops this past frame, adding $2.7M.
Angelina Jolie-Starrer ‘Maleficent’ Casting $600M Worldwide Spell
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Furious 7′ Pulls Ahead Of ‘Adaline’ On Friday; Looks To Clock $17M In Fourth Lap – Late Night B.O.
- They’re Baaaack! Harvey Weinstein, Former ‘Finding’ Flack Renew Their Vows
- ‘Adaline’ Leading Friday, But ‘Furious 7′ Should Zoom Ahead For Weekend Win — Midday Box Office
- ‘Avengers: Age Of Ultron’ Continues To Set Records With $44.8M In Two Days
- Kander & Ebb’s ‘The Visit’ And D’Amour’s ‘Airline Highway’ Send Broadway Into Tony Season On A Dark Note…
- How Strong Is Your Film’s Buzz? Rentrak’s PreAct Can Tell You – CinemaCon