Sony‘s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has become the first studio film released in 2014 to cross the $500M mark internationally. As of this morning, the sequel to the reboot has an overseas cume of $500.1M. At the weekend, it added $4.7M to reach $497.3M which already surpassed the lifetime gross of the first film’s $495.9M. The Marc Webb-directed follow-up is still playing in 81 markets. Thus far this year, it’s been the No. 1 release in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Kenya, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. In China, it’s crossed $94M, making it the No. 2 Hollywood movie of the year there behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In the U.S., the cume is $193.1M. TASM2 opened overseas in late April, rolling out in an inital 14 markets for what was at the time the biggest international debut of the year at $47M. The webslinger has traditionally done particularly well overseas in his various incarnations; the only previous take to pass $500M overseas was the Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man 3 in 2007.
‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ Crosses $500M Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- [PHOTOS] 2017 Oscar Nominees Part 2: Emma Stone, Matt Damon, Natalie Portman, Justin Timberlake & More
- 'I Am Not Your Negro' Tops $3.2M, 'Everybody Loves Somebody' Opens at $1M – Specialty Box Office
- Mark Duplass Urges Oscar Win For Barry Jenkins’ ‘Moonlight’
- Holdovers Reign Over Presidents’ Day Weekend, But Why Did The New Releases Tank?
- ‘Fifty Shades’ Dominant With $277M WW; ‘La La’ Lands $200M+ Overseas; ‘XXX’ Tops In China – International…
- CAS Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘Game Of Thrones’ Among Winners – Full List