Sony‘s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has become the first studio film released in 2014 to cross the $500M mark internationally. As of this morning, the sequel to the reboot has an overseas cume of $500.1M. At the weekend, it added $4.7M to reach $497.3M which already surpassed the lifetime gross of the first film’s $495.9M. The Marc Webb-directed follow-up is still playing in 81 markets. Thus far this year, it’s been the No. 1 release in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Kenya, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. In China, it’s crossed $94M, making it the No. 2 Hollywood movie of the year there behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In the U.S., the cume is $193.1M. TASM2 opened overseas in late April, rolling out in an inital 14 markets for what was at the time the biggest international debut of the year at $47M. The webslinger has traditionally done particularly well overseas in his various incarnations; the only previous take to pass $500M overseas was the Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man 3 in 2007.
‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Crosses $500M Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
More From Tartaglione
- Mr Grey Dominates, Mr Smith’s ‘Focus’ Pulls & Ms Smith’s ‘Exotic Marigold Hotel’ Upgrades: More International…
- ’50 Shades’ Now Uni’s Biggest R-Rated Film Overseas; Nears $500M Global B.O.
- Darrin Prescott & Wade Allen ‘Live!’ In Feature Helming Debut For The Solution
- ‘Spectre’ Director Sam Mendes On Why He Came Back To Bond After ‘Skyfall’
- BAFTA Los Angeles Names Chantal Rickards To New CEO Post
- ‘A Little Chaos': Alan Rickman, Kate Winslet Stroll Versailles Gardens – Trailer