Sony‘s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has become the first studio film released in 2014 to cross the $500M mark internationally. As of this morning, the sequel to the reboot has an overseas cume of $500.1M. At the weekend, it added $4.7M to reach $497.3M which already surpassed the lifetime gross of the first film’s $495.9M. The Marc Webb-directed follow-up is still playing in 81 markets. Thus far this year, it’s been the No. 1 release in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Kenya, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. In China, it’s crossed $94M, making it the No. 2 Hollywood movie of the year there behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In the U.S., the cume is $193.1M. TASM2 opened overseas in late April, rolling out in an inital 14 markets for what was at the time the biggest international debut of the year at $47M. The webslinger has traditionally done particularly well overseas in his various incarnations; the only previous take to pass $500M overseas was the Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man 3 in 2007.
‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ Crosses $500M Overseas
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend - Sunday AM Update
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International…
- ‘Wasted!’ Directors & EP Anthony Bourdain On The Problem Of Food Waste And Ways To Combat It…
- Dennis Rodman Runs Amok In Colin Hanks’ ‘The Amazing Adventures Of Wally And The Worm’…
- ‘Dear Basketball’ Scribe Kobe Bryant On A Career Built “Piece By Piece” And Life After Basketball…
- Docs 'Citizen Jane' & 'Jeremiah Tower' Rule Quiet Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 3 – Andie MacDowell, Joseph Fiennes, Elisabeth Moss, Kobe Bryant, Dan Stevens…