Sony‘s The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has become the first studio film released in 2014 to cross the $500M mark internationally. As of this morning, the sequel to the reboot has an overseas cume of $500.1M. At the weekend, it added $4.7M to reach $497.3M which already surpassed the lifetime gross of the first film’s $495.9M. The Marc Webb-directed follow-up is still playing in 81 markets. Thus far this year, it’s been the No. 1 release in Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Kenya, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. In China, it’s crossed $94M, making it the No. 2 Hollywood movie of the year there behind Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In the U.S., the cume is $193.1M. TASM2 opened overseas in late April, rolling out in an inital 14 markets for what was at the time the biggest international debut of the year at $47M. The webslinger has traditionally done particularly well overseas in his various incarnations; the only previous take to pass $500M overseas was the Sam Raimi-directed Spider-Man 3 in 2007.
‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2′ Crosses $500M Overseas
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office: 'If I Stay' Best Of Lifeless Bunch As 'Sin City 2' Tanks, 'Game' Tries To Find Footing And 'Guardians' No. 1
More From Tartaglione
- Ken Loach Calls For Cultural Boycott Of Israel, Labels U.S. A “Bully”: Reports
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Berlin Sets Wim Wenders Homage; BBC Two Orders 'Stonemouth' & UK's First Transgender Series; More
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies