EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have added a little ring credibility to their boxing pic Southpaw. Former world welterweight champion boxer-turned-actor Victor Ortiz has been added to a cast that has Jake Gyllenhaal starring with Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker. Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter wrote the script. Ortiz signed on to portray Ramone, a flyweight kid from the streets with real sparring potential. The character parallels Ortiz’s own rags-to-riches story of rising from childhood as a foster kid, to brawling his way to the championship belt in 2011. It’s the second significant role for Ortiz, who makes his feature film debut later this summer as one of the Young Expendables in Expendables 3. He was personally selected for the role by Sylvester Stallone. Shooting on Southpaw just began in Pittsburgh. Ortiz is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate, Xtreme Couture Management and lawyer Chad Christopher at Stone Meyer.
‘Southpaw’ Adds Ex-Champ Victor Ortiz To Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
'Office Christmas Party' Gets Louder With $17M+, Though 'Moana' Still Has Leading Luau; 'La La Land' Huge - Noon Update
Alec Baldwin Says Ha! To Donald Trump, While Judd Apatow Calls 'SNL'-Watching Prez-Elect "Terrifying Lunatic"
Latest Film News
- Terry George’s ‘The Promise’ Lands At Open Road, Gets April Release Date
- Peter Bart: Amazon’s Jeff Bezos Taking Aim At Hollywood
- ‘Office Christmas Party’ Gets Louder With $17M+, Though ‘Moana’ Still Has Leading Luau; ‘La La Land’ Huge…
- Gravitas Ventures Takes Swing With Bronson Pinchot Comedy ‘The Strike’
- 'Sicario' Sequel 'Soldado' Adds Isabela Moner
- ‘Big Short’ Scribe Charles Randolph Sets Sex Harassment Pic; Roger Ailes Figures In The Plot