EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have added a little ring credibility to their boxing pic Southpaw. Former world welterweight champion boxer-turned-actor Victor Ortiz has been added to a cast that has Jake Gyllenhaal starring with Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker. Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter wrote the script. Ortiz signed on to portray Ramone, a flyweight kid from the streets with real sparring potential. The character parallels Ortiz’s own rags-to-riches story of rising from childhood as a foster kid, to brawling his way to the championship belt in 2011. It’s the second significant role for Ortiz, who makes his feature film debut later this summer as one of the Young Expendables in Expendables 3. He was personally selected for the role by Sylvester Stallone. Shooting on Southpaw just began in Pittsburgh. Ortiz is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate, Xtreme Couture Management and lawyer Chad Christopher at Stone Meyer.
‘Southpaw’ Adds Ex-Champ Victor Ortiz To Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations Announced: 'Carol', 'Spotlight', 'Beasts Of Nation' Come Up Strong
CW's 'DC's Legends Of Tomorrow', 'The 100', Get Premiere Dates, 'Vampire Diaries', 'The Originals' Move To Friday
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘99 Homes’ Director Ramin Bahrani On Shannon, Garfield & “Web Of Corruption”…
- Bridge Independent & Ketchup Ink Digital Deal
- ‘The Danish Girl’s Tom Hooper On “Moving” Transgender Response To The Film…
- The Sony Hack One Year Later: Just Who Are The Guardians Of Peace?
- Ryan Gosling Orbiting Damien Chazelle’s Neil Armstrong Movie At Universal?
- ‘Knight Of Cups’ Trailer: Christian Bale’s Excellent Misadventure