EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have added a little ring credibility to their boxing pic Southpaw. Former world welterweight champion boxer-turned-actor Victor Ortiz has been added to a cast that has Jake Gyllenhaal starring with Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker. Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter wrote the script. Ortiz signed on to portray Ramone, a flyweight kid from the streets with real sparring potential. The character parallels Ortiz’s own rags-to-riches story of rising from childhood as a foster kid, to brawling his way to the championship belt in 2011. It’s the second significant role for Ortiz, who makes his feature film debut later this summer as one of the Young Expendables in Expendables 3. He was personally selected for the role by Sylvester Stallone. Shooting on Southpaw just began in Pittsburgh. Ortiz is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate, Xtreme Couture Management and lawyer Chad Christopher at Stone Meyer.
‘Southpaw’ Adds Ex-Champ Victor Ortiz To Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
Arrow/Flash Superhero Team-Up Spinoff In Works At CW; Brandon Routh, Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller, Caity Lotz Star
More From Fleming Jr
- New Regency Acquires Film For ’71’s Yann Demange To Direct, Plan B To Produce
- Bruce Lee Family Plans New Film Biopic
- A Third Robin Hood Script Enters The Fray; This By King Arthur Scribe Joby Harold
- Rob Letterman Doffs ‘Captain Underpants'; ‘Turbo’s David Soren Being Fitted For DWA Pic
- Will ‘The Crow’ Fly With Jack Huston?
- Marc Forster Sets Blake Lively, Jason Clarke For ‘All I See Is You’