EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have added a little ring credibility to their boxing pic Southpaw. Former world welterweight champion boxer-turned-actor Victor Ortiz has been added to a cast that has Jake Gyllenhaal starring with Rachel McAdams and Forest Whitaker. Sons Of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter wrote the script. Ortiz signed on to portray Ramone, a flyweight kid from the streets with real sparring potential. The character parallels Ortiz’s own rags-to-riches story of rising from childhood as a foster kid, to brawling his way to the championship belt in 2011. It’s the second significant role for Ortiz, who makes his feature film debut later this summer as one of the Young Expendables in Expendables 3. He was personally selected for the role by Sylvester Stallone. Shooting on Southpaw just began in Pittsburgh. Ortiz is repped by Gersh, The Syndicate, Xtreme Couture Management and lawyer Chad Christopher at Stone Meyer.
‘Southpaw’ Adds Ex-Champ Victor Ortiz To Cast
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Dax Shepard Driving Warner Bros 'CHiPS' Film; Michael Pena To Play Ponch
- 'GOT's Emilia Clarke, 'Hunger Games' Sam Claflin To Star In MGM's 'Me Before You'
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur