When LeVar Burton launched a Kickstarter campaign to revive his long-running educational series Reading Rainbow on the web, his target was $1M. Two days later, he had $2M — and the figure has doubled since. Now the man behind Family Guy, Ted and A Million Ways To Die In The West is upping the ante even further. Seth MacFarlane has committed $1M to the project, but it comes in the form of a challenge to the public: He will match every pledge from the $4M mark up to $5M through July 2. Burton plans to produce Reading Rainbow — which he hosted and exec produced during its entire PBS run from 1983-2006 — as a web series and make it available to students nationwide. He said the original $1M goal would have covered free subscriptions for 1,500-plus classrooms, but $6M would make it available for free to 12,500-plus.
For Seth MacFarlane, ‘Reading’ Is Fundamental
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
'Person Of Interest' Gets 'The Mentalist' Treatment With 13-Episode Order; Will Season 5 Be Its Last?
Latest TV News
- Al Markim, Who Played Astro In Pioneering ‘Tom Corbett, Space Cadet,’ Dies At 88
- ‘MasterChef Jr.’ Ratings Down, ‘Amazing Race’ Even, ‘Santa Claus’ Matches 2014
- ‘NFL On CBS’ Snags Strong Thanksgiving Day Ratings
- Marvel’s ‘Agent Carter’ Season 2 Teaser: Hayley Atwell Kicks Butt In Hollywood
- Thanksgiving NFL Matchup Draws 27.8M Viewers, 2nd-Most Ever For NBC Primetime Regular-Season Game – Update
- French Media Dedicates Coverage To Emotional Memorial Service For Victims Of Paris Attacks