Ryan Murphy and Larry Kramer’s HBO movie The Normal Heart can count President Barack Obama among its supporters. I hear the president made a surprise call to Murphy today to tell him that he loved the film and found it incredibly moving. The two know each other — Murphy hosted a major fundraiser for Obama at his house in 2012 — but I hear the writer-director had no idea Obama had seen his HBO film about the onset of the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City in thea early 1980s. I hear Obama asked how the movie came together. Kramer had been trying to get his Tony-winning play adapted to the screen for three decades, with Murphy taking on what would become a passion project for him too in 2010. Murphy confirmed getting the call to Deadline, adding, “The whole movie is about Larry trying to get the attention of Washington and 30 years later, to get a call from the President is a full-circle moment.”
President Obama Fan Of HBO’s ‘The Normal Heart’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'