EXCLUSIVE: North American rights to Filipino Oscar entry Transit have sold to 7th Art Releasing, which will set a theatrical run for later this year. Stargate producer Dean Devlin‘s Electric Entertainment is still selling international on the Phillippines’ official 2014 Foreign Language Oscar entry which caught Devlin’s eye after a festival run last year. Hannah Espia makes her directorial debut with the Tagalog- and Hebrew-language drama about Filipino immigrants in Tel Aviv. Irma Adlawan, Ping Medina, Mercedes Cabral, Jasmine Curtis-Smith and Marc Justine Alvarez star in the story of a domestic worker with an expired visa who tries to hide her half-Israeli daughter and her 4-year-old nephew who also risks deportation under the country’s immigration laws. Espia penned the pic with Giancarlo Abrahan. Paul Soriano and Ernest Escaler are producers. Sonia Mehandjiyska negotiated the deal for Electric Entertainment on behalf of the filmmakers with Shane Griffin and Udy Epstein for 7th Art.
7th Art Acquires Philippines Oscar Entry ‘Transit’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- Hot Trailer: Nicolas Cage In 'Outcast'
- Ken Jeong Dives Into Celebrity Death Pool Pic For Hyde Park, WWE Studios
- Tribeca Film Springs For Chris Lowell's 'Beside Still Waters'
- Zoe Cassavetes Ponders Plight Of The L.A. Actress In 'Day Out Of Days'
- Jason Reitman's 'Men, Women & Children' Pacts With Secret-Spiller Whisper
- Cara Delevingne Circling Beach Boys Musical 'All Summer Long'