Kristen Bell, erstwhile star of Veronica Mars and the voice of Anna in Frozen, and Hunter Parrish of Weeds will topline a revival of the ur-rock musical Hair slated to run August 1-3 at the Hollywood Bowl. They’ll be joined by Amber Riley and Jenna Ushkowitz, both of Glee. Bell will play Sheila, Parrish will play Claude, Ushkowitz will be Jeanie and Riley will play Dionne. Beverly D’Angelo, who played Sheila in Milos Forman’s 1979 film adaptation, will play the mother. Adam Shankman is directing. Hair was the show that New York Shakespeare Festival founder Joseph Papp used to inaugurate the Public Theater in 1967, after purchasing the old Astor Library in the East Village from the city of New York for $1. The musical later moved to Broadway and was a sensation for its enduring folk-rock-blues score by James Rado, Gerome Ragni and Galt MacDermot, its strong anti-Vietnam War sentiment and the communal, a albeit brief, nudity (which was added for the Broadway version). As Sheila, Bell will get to sing the lament Easy To Be Hard and lead the choral roof-raisers Good Morning Starshine and Let The Sunshine In. A 2008 revival began during the Public Theater’s Shakespeare in the Park summer series, moved to Broadway and toured.
Kristen Bell, Hunter Parrish Will Let The Sunshine In At Hollywood Bowl `Hair’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Gerard
- Broadway B.O.: Super Duo Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick Bolt From Starting Gate With 'It's Only A Play'
- Melissa Rivers Updates Mom's Status
- Garry Marshall's 'Double Indemnity' Play Will Star 'Mad Man' Pete Campbell
- Universal Takes Producing Stake In Bill Condon's Broadway 'Side Show' Revival
- Publishing: Penguin Random House Raises Claire Von Schilling, Praises Stuart Applebaum
- Harvey Weinstein Wants To Give Negatory 'Neverland' Columnist Riedel The Hook