Sony and Will Smith‘s Overbrook Entertainment have hired screenwriting team Jeremiah Friedman and Nick Palmer to write Karate Kid 2, which now has an empty director’s chair as Breck Eisner has exited due to a scheduling conflict with his Vin Diesel pic The Last Witchhunter. The scribes follow Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris and Zak Penn, who previously had been tapped to write the sequel. Friedman and Palmer’s action comedy script Family Getaway made the 2010 Black List, and the pair was subsequently hired to script the Bodyguard remake for Warner Bros-based Lin Pictures. They earned more press in 2012 when they sold their Die Hard-esque pitch Speeding Bullet to Universal in a mid-six-figure deal. Sony’s Karate Kid sequel will return stars Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith for more martial arts action in the studio’s blockbuster franchise reboot. Harald Zwart directed the 2010 Karate Kid, which scored $343 million worldwide with a contemporary China-set take on the crane-kicking 1980s original.
Breck Eisner Out For ‘Karate Kid 2’ As Sony, Overbrook Hire New Scripting Duo
What's Hot on Deadline
'X-Men: Apocalypse' Dawns With $101.5M; 'Angry Birds' Sings With $55.5M, 'Zootopia' #4 Animated Pic Ever Worldwide - Intl Box Office Final
'Fear The Walking Dead' EP Gale Anne Hurd Talks Explosive Midseason Finale, 'Walking Dead' Season 7 & What's Next
'Angry Birds' Takes Flight With $38M No. 1 Debut, 'Sorority' Rushes $21.7M, 'Nice Guys' Finish Last With $11.2M - Final B.O.
Latest Film News
- John Carpenter To Exec Produce New ‘Halloween’ For Miramax, Trancas & Blumhouse
- Guns N’ Roses Docu Gets 50-City Theatrical Preview From XLrator
- Alicia Coppola Joins ‘Cowgirl’s Story’; Johnathon Schaech Lands Roles In ‘Philly Fury’, ‘Day Of The Dead…
- DreamWorks Animation Hires Exec From Paramount As New Head Of Development
- Sony Acquires Thriller Pitch From Scribe Lori Evans Taylor For Akiva Goldsman To Produce
- SAG-AFTRA Files Unfair Labor Charges Against Ad Giant Grey Global