In a first-of-its-kind event, Doctor Who will launch a global world tour this summer, visiting seven cities across five continents to introduce the 12th Time Lord, Peter Capaldi. Joining Capaldi will be on-screen companion Jenna Coleman, and the show’s lead writer and exec producer Steven Moffat (he’ll only make it to some of the stops, however). The 12-day roadshow is the biggest ever promotional undertaking in Doctor Who’s 50-year history and will kick off in Cardiff, Wales on August 7 before heading to London, Seoul, Sydney, New York, Mexico City and Rio. Capaldi and Coleman are appearing together for the first time in the U.S. when they arrive in New York on August 14. That’s a year and 10 days after Capaldi was revealed as the new Doctor, replacing Matt Smith who played the role from 2010-2013. Capaldi made a very brief appearance in the show’s 50th anniversary special The Day Of The Doctor which aired in a global simulcast on November 23 last year and broke ratings and social media records for BBC America which airs the series Stateside. Capaldi said of the impending tour, “After eight months solid filming deep in the world of monsters, Jenna and I are thrilled to be heading for the Planet of Fans.” The current 12-episode season of Doctor Who is shooting through August. The premiere episode will debut day-and-date on BBC One in the UK and BBC America in the U.S. in August, although a specific date has not been set.
‘Doctor Who’ To Regenerate In 7-City World Tour Introducing Peter Capaldi As Time Lord
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Berlin Sets Wim Wenders Homage; BBC Two Orders 'Stonemouth' & UK's First Transgender Series; More
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Boss David Abraham Says UK TV Biz Showing U.S. How It's Done
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Orders North Korea Political Thriller By Matt Charman
- Edinburgh: Judi Dench & More Join Benedict Cumberbatch In BBC Two's 'Richard III'
- Edinburgh: Channel 4 Joins Acquisition Bandwagon With Stakes In 4 Indies
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC Unveils 'Doctor Who' Web Series; 'Coronation Street' & 'Emmerdale' Staying On Aussie TV Into 2020