Summit’s Divergent follow-up Insurgent has cast Keiynan Lonsdale. The actor, who recently starred on Australian dance drama Dance Academy, will play Uriah, a fellow initiate who befriends Tris (Shailene Woodley) as the stakes climb higher in the second and third installments. The character is introduced in Veronica Roth’s original YA novel Divergent, but didn’t make an appearance in Lionsgate/Summit’s $267M March blockbuster adaptation. Insurgent is being directed by Robert Schwentke from a screenplay by Brian Duffield and Akiva Goldsman. Filming is underway in Atlanta. Insurgent also stars returning cast members Theo James, Kate Winslet, Jai Courtney, Ray Stevenson, Zoë Kravitz, Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Maggie Q and Mekhi Phifer alongside new franchise castmates Naomi Watts, Octavia Spencer, Daniel Dae Kim, Rosa Salazar, Suki Waterhouse, and Jonny Weston. Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher are producing for their Red Wagon Entertainment banner along with Pouya Shahbazian. Todd Lieberman and David Hoberman are executive producing for Mandeville Films along with Neil Burger and Barry Waldman. Insurgent is set for a March 20, 2015 release. Lonsdale is repped by Silver Lining Entertainment, Morrissey Management in Australia, and attorneys Isaac Dunham and Ira Schreck.
‘Divergent’ Sequel ‘Insurgent’ Casts Keiynan Lonsdale As Uriah
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Hot Trailer: Jazz Docu 'Keep On Keepin' On'
- Sundance Institute Taps 10 For Docu Music And Sound Design Lab
- Brian Huskey Set For ABC's 'Selfie'; Rebecca Forsythe Joins 'Members Only'
- Relativity's 'Beyond The Lights' To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
- Step Right Up For 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Premiere Date
- Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina & Jon Bernthal Join HBO Miniseries 'Show Me A Hero'