Oprah Winfrey, Tom Brokaw, Ron Howard, Fox’s Chase Carey, and AMC Networks’ Josh Sapan were among the moguls who paid tribute to Discovery Communications CEO David Zaslav today in a video as Syracuse University presented him with its Fred Dressler Leadership Award. “This is a guy who’s not afraid to fail — and when he does, as he did with Planet Green, he moves on,” former Viacom chief Tom Freston said in presenting the award. “I don’t think there’s anyone in the business who’s having a better time than he is.” The university gave the honor as part of its annual Mirror Award luncheon to recognize some of the year’s best journalism about the media. Re/code‘s Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg received the I-3 award for impact, innovation and influence. The John M. Higgins Award for in-depth and enterprise reporting went to CQ Researcher’s Frank Greve for a piece about combat journalism. The New Yorker‘s Rachel Aviv won best article from traditional/legacy media. The Washington Post’s Erik Wemple won for best single article in digital media. NPR’s On The Media took best story from broadcast media. The New Yorker‘s Michael Specter won best profile. Columbia Journalism Review‘s Michael Meyer was recognized for commentary from traditional media, and Jina Moore won best commentary for digital media for pieces in Salon, Columbia Journalism Review, and The Atlantic.
Discovery’s David Zaslav Feted At Mirror Awards Presentation
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- UPDATE: RealD Responds To Starboard Value's Buyout Offer, Which Sent The 3D Company's Shares Soaring
- DirecTV Secures Renewal Of NFL Sunday Ticket With Added Streaming Rights
- Media Stocks Swoon As Wall Street Frets Over Factory Activity And Ebola
- Is The 'Crouching Tiger 2′ Dispute A Brilliant PR Gambit For Netflix?
- Derek Jeter Teams With Legendary Entertainment To Launch Sports Site: The Player's Tribune
- Suddenlink To Drop Viacom Channels In Dispute Over Contract Terms