EXCLUSIVE: Charles S. Dutton and Mike Epps will co-star in Bessie, HBO’s film about Bessie Smith, with Queen Latifah playing the iconic blues singer. Also cast in the movie, written and directed by Dee Rees, is Tika Sumpter. Vased on the life story of Smith, the project chronicles how Smith overcame her tempestuous personal life to become one of the most acclaimed performing and recording artists of the 1920s and ’30s, earning the nickname Empress of the Blues. Dutton will play William “Pa” Rainey, husband and partner to Ma Rainey (Mo’Nique). Charles, repped by Greene & Assoc. and Lighthouse Entertainment, was nominated for a Tony Award for his portrayal of Levee Greene in the Broadway production of Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom written by August Wilson. Epps plays Richard Morgan, bootlegger and romantic interest to Bessie Smith. Sumpter plays Lucille, a chorus girl in Bessie’s troupe. Epps, repped by CAA, Industry Entertainment and attorney Todd Rubenstein., is shooting the Starz series Survivor’s Remorse, just wrapped the Universal feature Term Life and is on a national Live Nation tour with his stand up show Mike Epps: After Dark.
Charles S. Dutton & Mike Epps Join HBO Films’ Bessie Smith Biopic
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
'Black Panther' Still Boss At The B.O. Running Toward $600M+; 'Tomb Raider' At $22M-$24M - Midday Update
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Netflix Boards Coming-Of-Age Slasher Movie With 'Stranger Things' Outfit 21 Laps And James Wan's Atomic Monster
Latest TV News
- ‘Real Time’: Billy Bush Says Life Was “Chaos” After Trump Grabbing Scandal
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Trump’s Lawyer Sues Stormy Daniels For $20M In Advance Of ’60 Minutes’ Interview
- “What If Our Politicians Weren’t The Bitch Of NRA?” Parkland Student Asks In PSA
- NBC Wants ‘Tonight Show’ Discrimination Suit Moved To Arbitration, Or Dismissed
- ‘In Between Lives’ Casts Anne-Marie Johnson; Raffi Barsoumian Cracks ‘The Code’