It looks like taking over downtown LA for the weekend has paid of for BET. The BET Awards drew 7.9 million total viewers last night, dwarfing this year’s cable-aired awards shows like the MTV Movie Awards (those drew 3.2 million viewers April 13) and heating up social media with 11 million tweets about the event. The viewership number is up from the 7.8 million who tuned in last year, when Samuel L Jackson hosted. Chris Rock hosted this year and was spot on (why isn’t he on TV more?). The weekend’s BET Experience at L.A. Live drew 112,488 attendees for film screenings, 106 & Park live tapings, interviews and concerts featuring the likes of Outkast, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Future, The Roots and Trey Songz.
BET Awards Draw 7.9 Million Viewers
Trending Now on Deadline
NBC Cameraman Declared Ebola-Free; Tries To Rescue Nancy Snyderman From Self-Inflicted Career Disaster -- UPDATE
More From Team
- Karen Pittman Joins 'The Americans'; Gloria Reuben In 'Mr. Robot'
- 'Below Deck' Renewed For Third Season By Bravo
- 'Shark Tank' Spinoff 'Beyond The Tank' Ordered At ABC
- 'Cold Justice' Spinoff Greenlit By TNT
- Hollywood Film Awards Sets 18 Categories
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Bags Bully Ratings For PBS