It looks like taking over downtown LA for the weekend has paid of for BET. The BET Awards drew 7.9 million total viewers last night, dwarfing this year’s cable-aired awards shows like the MTV Movie Awards (those drew 3.2 million viewers April 13) and heating up social media with 11 million tweets about the event. The viewership number is up from the 7.8 million who tuned in last year, when Samuel L Jackson hosted. Chris Rock hosted this year and was spot on (why isn’t he on TV more?). The weekend’s BET Experience at L.A. Live drew 112,488 attendees for film screenings, 106 & Park live tapings, interviews and concerts featuring the likes of Outkast, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Future, The Roots and Trey Songz.
BET Awards Draw 7.9 Million Viewers
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…