It looks like taking over downtown LA for the weekend has paid of for BET. The BET Awards drew 7.9 million total viewers last night, dwarfing this year’s cable-aired awards shows like the MTV Movie Awards (those drew 3.2 million viewers April 13) and heating up social media with 11 million tweets about the event. The viewership number is up from the 7.8 million who tuned in last year, when Samuel L Jackson hosted. Chris Rock hosted this year and was spot on (why isn’t he on TV more?). The weekend’s BET Experience at L.A. Live drew 112,488 attendees for film screenings, 106 & Park live tapings, interviews and concerts featuring the likes of Outkast, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Future, The Roots and Trey Songz.
BET Awards Draw 7.9 Million Viewers
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Ben Kingsley, Brie Larson Head For 'Brooklyn Bridge'; Revolver Takes 'Bhopal' Disaster Drama
- Fox Writers Intensive Accepting Nominations
- GSN Orders 'Baggage' Spinoff; Jerry Springer To Return As Host
- Mark Feuerstein Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'; Nick Clifford In VH1's 'Hindsight'
- Rosie's Return Snares Big Ratings For 'The View'
- NBC Finishes No. 1 In 18-49 Demo For 2013-14 Primetime Season