EXCLUSIVE: Will Smith has decided to drop out of director Julius Onah’s Brilliance, the Legendary Pictures adaptation of the Marcus Sakey novel that has a script by David Koepp. Universal is releasing the film, which was to begin production this summer. The film’s start has moved a couple of times, and the exit came down to timing. Legendary has been in negotiations with Noomi Rapace to star alongside him. The pic focuses on a world where a rare set of people are born with extraordinary abilities and are called “brilliants.” At the center of the story is a federal agent with great hunting gifts who is drafted to track down a terrorist, another such brilliant who intends to start a civil war. Onah directed The Girl Is In Trouble, and Joe Roth and Palak Patel are producing with Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni. Smith, who recently decided to not reprise his role in the Independence Day sequel at Fox, next will be seen starring with Margot Robbie in the Glenn Ficarra/John Requa-directed grifter tale Focus, which Warner Bros opens February 27.
Will Smith Exits Legendary Pic ‘Brilliance’
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest Film News
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2’: $100M Offshore Bow In The Mix? – International Box Office Preview
- Harvey Weinstein On ‘3 Generations’ Ratings Dilemma: Cut, Or Risk Losing Access To Teen Audience
- National CineMedia Promotes Lawrence Snapp To Chief Digital Officer
- ‘Agents Of SHIELD’s Chloe Bennet, Logan Paul & More Join MGM’s ‘Valley Girl’ Remake
- ‘Hidden Figures’ Filmmaker Ted Melfi Lines Up Strong Ensemble Cast For ‘El Camino Christmas…
- Adam Sandler & Chris Rock Team For Robert Smigel-Helmed ‘The Week Of’ At Netflix