VH1 has ordered the eight-episode hourlong docuseries TransAmerica (working title) from Tyra Banks (America’s Next Top Model) and Gay Rosenthal (Behind The Music) for a late-2014 or early-2015 premiere. The series chronicles a group of Chicago women who are united by the shared experience of being transgender and follows them as they navigate dating, family and professional ambitions. The cast includes: Carmen Carrera, who was recently signed to Elite Model Management and is on the path to becoming a supermodel and recognized as a leading advocate in the transgender community as constantly balances her career goals with her personal life; Giselle, a recent college graduate who is focused on continuing her education as she prepares for her upcoming sexual reassignment surgery; Natalia, a beauty consultant for Christian Dior cosmetics who is faced with the challenge of trying to reconnect with some of her family and gaining their support; Sidney, the ultimate party girl, who’s struggling with the idea of juggling a social life and professional goals; and Victory, who dreams of becoming a doctor but must deal with the discrimination she receives as a transgender woman. The series is executive produced by Banks for The Tyra Banks Company, Rosenthal for Gay Rosenthal Productions and Mark Schulman for 3 Arts Entertainment. Executive producers for VH1 are Susan Levison and Nina L. Diaz.
VH1 Greenlights Transgender Docuseries From Tyra Banks & Gay Rosenthal
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Jon Lindstrom Joins 'True Detective'; Dan Buran Boards TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'