VH1 has ordered the eight-episode hourlong docuseries TransAmerica (working title) from Tyra Banks (America’s Next Top Model) and Gay Rosenthal (Behind The Music) for a late-2014 or early-2015 premiere. The series chronicles a group of Chicago women who are united by the shared experience of being transgender and follows them as they navigate dating, family and professional ambitions. The cast includes: Carmen Carrera, who was recently signed to Elite Model Management and is on the path to becoming a supermodel and recognized as a leading advocate in the transgender community as constantly balances her career goals with her personal life; Giselle, a recent college graduate who is focused on continuing her education as she prepares for her upcoming sexual reassignment surgery; Natalia, a beauty consultant for Christian Dior cosmetics who is faced with the challenge of trying to reconnect with some of her family and gaining their support; Sidney, the ultimate party girl, who’s struggling with the idea of juggling a social life and professional goals; and Victory, who dreams of becoming a doctor but must deal with the discrimination she receives as a transgender woman. The series is executive produced by Banks for The Tyra Banks Company, Rosenthal for Gay Rosenthal Productions and Mark Schulman for 3 Arts Entertainment. Executive producers for VH1 are Susan Levison and Nina L. Diaz.
VH1 Greenlights Transgender Docuseries From Tyra Banks & Gay Rosenthal
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Bone Tomahawk' Adds Five To Cast; Kristina Lauren Anderson To Adapt YA Novel 'Invisibility'
- TV Academy's Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen From Hall Of Fame Plaza
- SoftBank Eyes Stake In Legendary Pictures As DreamWorks Animation Talks Cool
- 'Inherent Vice' Trailer: Joaquin Phoenix Stars In Paul Thomas Anderson's Latest
- Naomi Campbell To Recur On Fox's 'Empire'; Tina Casciani Joins CW's 'Jane The Virgin'
- Fox Searchlight Promotes Ray Strache To SVP Acquisitions & Co-Productions