Universal Pictures today solidified its multicultural marketing team that helped drive such recent hits as Despicable Me 2, Fast & Furious 6 and Ride Along. The studio promoted Fabian Castro to SVP Multicultural Marketing and extended the contract of Talitha Watkins as VP of the division. Castro, who has focused on Latino outreach, will oversee the multicultural marketing unit, which Universal said is expanding and will boost its presence on current and upcoming marketing campaigns to oversee a broader range of ethnic and specialty demographic groups. He helped promote such films as Despicable Me 2 and Mama, which earned 28% and 46% of their respective opening-weekend grosses from Hispanics. Watkins will continue to concentrate on the African-American audience. Her efforts helped fuel such pics as The Best Man Holiday and Ride Along into breakout hits. “Unlocking the Hispanic marketplace is a priority for every studio, and we’re proud of the gains we’ve made with Fabian’s guidance,” said Universal’s Co-president of Marketing Michael Moses. “He has led us to implement innovative, effective campaigns that cross every marketing discipline and communicate to this segment of the audience in an authentic way.” Moses added about Watkins: “Talitha is a real star who’s gotten to shine with her contributions to making some of our recent films very big hits. [She] has opened new opportunities for us to build a strong, sustainable foundation with a loyal segment of moviegoers.”
Universal Ups Fabian Castro To SVP Multicultural Marketing, Extends VP Talitha Watkins
Trending Now on Deadline
'Black-ish', 'Grey's Anatomy', 'Castle', 'The Goldbergs', 'Modern Family', 'Once Upon A Time' & Others Get Extra Episodes At ABC
More From Team
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…
- 'High Profits': New CNN Series Profiles Colorado Pot Business Owners
- Mary McCormack & Alicia Witt Join 'House Of Lies'; Lindsey Gort In 'Self Promotion'
- Courtney Love To Guest Star In Fox's 'Empire'