Universal Pictures has named Chandus T. Jackson, Margaret Rose Lester, Steve Martinez, Ivy Pruss and Saila Reyes as the first class of writers in its inaugural Emerging Writer’s Fellowship. The quintet will join the studio in a year-long paid fellowship in which they’ll be involved in daily production as well as specific writing assignments, reporting to Uni Co-Presidents of Production Peter Cramer and Jeffrey Kirschenbaum. The program originated from EVP of Production Scott Bernstein and the studio’s SVP/CFO of Film Production Arturo Barquet, with the support of Universal’s Diversity Council led by Donna Langley. Also aboard as mentors and guest speakers are producer Will Packer (Ride Along), writer-producer Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious franchise), writer-producer Jeremy Garelick (The Break-Up), writer-producer Cheo Hodari Coker (Notorious) and writer-producer Suzanne de Passe of de Passe Jones Entertainment. Universal’s Emerging Writer’s Fellowship is endorsed by the Writers Guild of America, West. “The Emerging Writers Fellowship is a testament to the commitment of the senior leadership at Universal Pictures to identify, develop and nurture new voices in film,” said Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer for NBCUniversal Craig Robinson. “We’re all very excited about this group of talented young people, and the new perspectives they’ll bring to the company.”
Universal Names 5 Writers To First-Ever Diversity Fellowship
Trending Now on Deadline
'Dancing With The Stars' Finale Ratings Hit 4-Season High, 'The Voice' Down, 'Flash' & 'Mindy Project' Even
More From Team
- Jon Lindstrom Joins 'True Detective'; Dan Buran Boards TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot
- 'Unfinished Business' Redband Trailer: Vince Vaughn And Company Invade Europe
- 'Late Late Show' Guest Hosts Include Drew Carey & Judd Apatow Ahead Of Corden Debut
- Richard Linklater To Receive Palm Springs Visionary Award For 'Boyhood'
- MPTF's Night Before Oscar Fundraiser Setting Up Shop On Fox Lot
- Matt Barr Joins TNT's Drug-Trade Pilot; Katie Sarife In 'The Michelle Knight Story'