EXCLUSIVE: Southpaw, the long-gestating Kurt Sutter-scripted drama about a fighter who tries to overcome adversity to recapture glory, is finally getting close to the start line. I’m hearing that The Weinstein Company and director Antoine Fuqua have made Rachel McAdams their choice to play the female lead alongside Jake Gyllenhaal, with Forest Whitaker in talks to play the boxing trainer who tries to guide his fighter back after his world is shattered by personal tragedy. It sends him on a downward spiral and puts his young daughter in a bad spot. I’m hearing TWC is courting 12 Years A Slave Oscar winner Lupita Nyong‘o to play the social worker watching out for the kid. Alan Riche and Peter Riche are producing with Todd Black and Jason Blumenthal. Fuqua has brought his Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk on for a rewrite.
‘Southpaw’ Has Forest Whitaker, Rachel McAdams And Lupita Nyong’o Circling For Weinstein Company
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- James Cameron On 'Avatar' Sequels: 'You Will Sh*t Yourself With Your Mouth Wide Open'
- Fox Green Light Starts 'Independence Day' Sequel Countdown
- Sony Hacker Paralysis Reaches Day Two – Update
- Leslie Zemeckis Sells Book On Burlesque Siren Lili St. Cyr
- Weinstein Collars Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani For 'Paddington' Tune
- Wonderland Buys Insurgent Scribe Brian Duffield's 'The Babysitter' Spec In Auction