EXCLUSIVE: Another key star from Universal’s 2012 hit Pitch Perfect is warming up his vocal chords for the sequel. Skylar Astin will be reprising his role of Jesse, the fellow competitive a cappella singer Anna Kendrick‘s Beca fell for in the original. Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, and Adam DeVine are back for Pitch Perfect 2, for producer Elizabeth Banks, who is making her directorial debut. Katey Sagal and Hailee Steinfeld also will star in the pic, which Uni has dated for May 15, 2015. Astin got his start originating the role of Georg in the Tony-winning musical Spring Awakening alongside fellow breakout stars Jonathan Groff, Lea Michele, and John Gallagher Jr. Prior to Pitch Perfect Astin starred in and flexed his singing chops in 2008’s Hamlet 2 for Focus Features. Post-Pitch Perfect, he has focused on comedies including Relativity’s 21 & Over, Well Go’s indie bachelor comedy Cavemen, and the upcoming Flock Of Dudes with Chris D’Elia, Hannah Simone, and Hilary Duff. Astin also is set to return for a second season on Bill Lawrence’s TBS comedy Ground Floor, which was renewed in March. He’s repped by UTA, and managers Mike Smith at Principal LA and Jill Kaplan at Authentic Talent Management.
Skylar Astin Returning For ‘Pitch Perfect 2′
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- UPDATE: Fox Home Entertainment & 'Sleepy Hollow' Marketer Apologize For “Headless Day” Promo After Beheading Of Second U.S…
- Abortionist Pic 'Gosnell' Hires 'True Crime' Writer To Script
- MMA Pastor Doc 'Fight Church' Inks Distribution, Morgan Spurlock TV Deal
- Alex Kurtzman's Secret Hideout Inks 3-Year Universal Deal
- Telluride: Fandor Acquires Sci-Fi Short 'The Sand Storm' Starring Ai Weiwei
- A Year After First Peek, Universal Trailers Delayed 'Seventh Son'