Oscar winner Octavia Spencer will play Johanna, the leader of the Amity faction, in the second installment of Lionsgate/Summit’s Divergent franchise. Insurgent, the second of four pics, will be released March 20, 2015. Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Kate Winslet return from the first movie, which has surpassed $250M in worldwide box office and is Lionsgate’s highest-grossing domestic release since The Hunger Games and Twilight series. Insurgent raises the stakes for Tris (Woodley) as she searches for allies and answers in the dystopian ruins of a futuristic Chicago while on the run with Four (James) and hunted by the leader of the power-hungry Erudite elite (Winslet). Spencer, repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman, has upcoming the James Brown biopic Get On Up and Snowpiercer and stars in the Fox pilot Red Band Society that was just picked up to series.
Octavia Spencer Joins ‘Insurgent’ Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
'Empire' Ratings Fall To Low As Dolly Parton Movie Wins In Viewers; 'Arrow' Hits Season Highs With Mega-Crossover
Latest Film News
- Pharrell Williams On His ‘Hidden Figures’ Contribution: “It Made Sense For Everything We Stand For”
- Haim Saban Slams DNC Chair Hopeful Keith Ellison: “Anti-Semitic And Anti-Israel”
- Johnny Depp, Sam Raimi & Others Contribute To Film By 16-Year Old Cancer Patient
- ‘Jackie’ Review: Natalie Portman Astonishes With A Side Of Jackie Kennedy Never Before Seen
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: When Warren Met Kirk; #OscarsSoWhite A Thing Of The Past?
- ‘Aquaman’ To Swim Into Theaters October 2018