Oscar winner Octavia Spencer will play Johanna, the leader of the Amity faction, in the second installment of Lionsgate/Summit’s Divergent franchise. Insurgent, the second of four pics, will be released March 20, 2015. Shailene Woodley, Theo James and Kate Winslet return from the first movie, which has surpassed $250M in worldwide box office and is Lionsgate’s highest-grossing domestic release since The Hunger Games and Twilight series. Insurgent raises the stakes for Tris (Woodley) as she searches for allies and answers in the dystopian ruins of a futuristic Chicago while on the run with Four (James) and hunted by the leader of the power-hungry Erudite elite (Winslet). Spencer, repped by WME and Jackoway Tyerman, has upcoming the James Brown biopic Get On Up and Snowpiercer and stars in the Fox pilot Red Band Society that was just picked up to series.
Octavia Spencer Joins ‘Insurgent’ Cast
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fifty Shades' Dominant With $277M WW; 'La La' Lands $200M+ Overseas; 'XXX' Tops In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Fifty Shades’ Dominant With $285M WW; ‘La La’ Lands $200M+ Overseas; ‘XXX’ Tops In China – International Box…
- Costume Designers Guild Awards: 'La La Land,’ 'Hidden Figures' & ‘The Crown’ Among Winners – Complete…
- Martin Scorsese's Robert De Niro Pic 'The Irishman' Heading To Netflix?
- Leah Adler Dies: Steven Spielberg’s Mother Was 97
- Uma Thurman Regrets Turning Down ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Role
- UCLA Diversity Report Downplays Gains Made By Industry’s Women and Minorities