The mostly publishing company that split from Fox last year will pay $455M in Canadian dollars (about $415M U.S.) for the Toronto-based specialist in romance novels. About 99% of HarperCollins‘ books are in English, so with more than 1,300 authors and reach into more than 100 global markets, Harlequin is eyed to provide a boost for News Corp. The deal “is expected to provide an immediate lift to earnings,” News Corp CEO Robert Thomson says. He calls this “a significant step in our strategy to establish a network of digital properties in the growth regions of the world.” Harlequin will remain a distinct brand at HarperCollins and give it “an immediate foothold in 11 new countries from which we can expand into dozens of foreign languages for authors who choose to work with us globally,” the publishing unit’s CEO Brian Murray says. The deal is expected to close in Q3 following approval by shareholders of Harlequin’s parent company, Torstar Corp. It reported that Harlequin generated C$398M ($363M U.S.) in revenues last year with C$56M ($51M U.S.) in cash flow using international accounting rules, which differ from those in the U.S.
News Corp Agrees To Buy Harlequin, Publisher Of Fiction For Women
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest Business News
- Weinstein Co. Bidder Emerges, Promises Majority Female Leadership
- Ava DuVernay & Ryan Coogler Celebrate People Of Color In Film: “A Hero Doesn’t Have To Be Defined So Narrowly”…
- Earle Hyman Dies: Veteran Broadway Actor, Cosby TV Dad Was 91
- President Donald Trump On LaVar Ball Diss: “I Should Have Left Them In Jail!”
- Mel Tillis Dies: The Country Music Hall Of Famer And Actor Was 85
- NFL Anthem Protests Week 11 – Kneeling Continues After Veteran’s Day Respite