Coming into today, there were five NBC comedy pilots in consideration: single-camera Bad Judge, Mission Control and Old Soul and multi-camera One Big Happy and untitled Jerrod Carmichael presentation. Today, the network picked up three, Bad Judge, Mission Control and One Big Happy — the latter two said to be for midseason with six-episode orders. The other two, Amy Poehler’s Old Soul starring Natasha Lyonne, and the untitled Jerrod Carmichael presentation, remain in contention. Everything else — on the comedy and drama side — is dead. I hear the idea considered for the Jerrod Carmichael project is to set up a writers room and write six scripts as well as shoot a new pilot. As I have pointed out, up-and-coming comedian Carmichael has been one of the discoveries of this pilot season, with his under-the-radar, low-budget presentation coming in surprisingly strong just as Carmichael started to break out. He is in this weekend’s comedy hit Neighbors and just landed an HBO standup special directed by Spike Lee. With a pilot that impressed them enough and a star on the rise, NBC brass probably felt the project was worth hanging on to.
NBC Pilots: What Is Still Alive?
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- ABC Nabs Medical Drama From David Marshall Grant & Vendetta As Put Pilot