Jonathan Demme’s A Master Builder, an adaptation of a play based on the Henrik Ibsen play, has been acquired by indie distributor Abramorama and will be released July 23 in NY followed by a national rollout. Directed by Demme, it was titled Fear Of Falling when it premiered at last year’s Rome Film Festival. The film is based on a theater production — performed only a few times to friends — created for the stage by Andre Gregory, based on Ibsen’s The Master Builder, and translated and adapted by actor-playwright Wallace Shawn, who teamed with Gregory for the iconic indie pic My Dinner With Andre. Gregory and Shawn also star in the film, which tells the story of Halvard Solness (Shawn), a successful architect who exercises tight control over his wife (Julie Hagerty) who has never stopped mourning the death of their two infant children. When Hilde (Lisa Joyce), a mysterious young woman comes to visit, the once dominating, controlling and narcissistic Halvard finds himself apparently revived in every possible way. Jeff Biehl, Emily Cass McDonnell and Larry Pine also star.
Abramorama Acquires Jonathan Demme Pic ‘A Master Builder’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'