Lifetime has greenlighted Whitney Houston (working title), an original movie about the tragic music superstar who died in 2012. Helmed by Angela Bassett in her directorial debut, Whitney Houston is set for a 2015 premiere. It chronicles the tumultuous relationship between Houston and singer-songwriter Bobby Brown — from the time they first met at the very height of their celebrity through their courtship and rocky marriage, all during Whitney’s meteoric rise as a singer, actress and model. “I have such regard for both Whitney’s and Bobby’s amazing talents and accomplishments, and I feel a responsibility in the telling of their story,” said Bassett. “Their humanity and bond fascinates us all.” Produced by The Sanitsky Co., Whitney Houston comes from executive producer Larry Sanitsky and writer Shem Bitterman, the team behind Lifetime’s 2013 movie Betty & Coretta. That telepic told the dual real-life stories of Coretta Scott King (Bassett) and Dr. Betty Shabazz (Mary J. Blige).
Lifetime Sets Whitney Houston Biopic Directed By Angela Bassett
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Parminder Nagra Cast In ABC Pilot ‘The Kingmakers’
- Matthew Lillard To Star In ‘Problem Child’ NBC Pilot
- ‘True Blood’s Rutina Wesley To Star In ‘Broad Squad’, More ABC Pilots Add Cast
- NBC Picks Up Sniper Miniseries ‘The Reaper’ From Weinstein Co.
- Martha Plimpton To Star In Dan Savage ABC Pilot ‘Family of the Year’
- Christina Vidal To Star In ‘The Curse Of the Fuentes Women’ Pilot, Daphne Rubin-Vega Also Cast