EXCLUSIVE: Julia Stiles has joined the cast of The Great Gilly Hopkins, an adaptation of Bridge To Terabithia author Katherine Paterson’s novel of the same name. The Book Thief‘s Sophia Nelisse is playing young protagonist Gilly, who dreams of being reunited one day with her mysterious and exotic mother. Stiles will play Gilly’s mother. Also newly added to the cast is Bill Cobbs (The Bodyguard, Rake) as Gilly’s blind, kindly neighbor Mr. Randolph. Cobbs stepped into the role replacing previously cast Danny Glover, who dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Rounding out the cast is Billy Magnussen (Into The Woods, The East) as the youngster’s overworked and underpaid social worker. Kathy Bates, Octavia Spencer, and Glenn Close also co-star. Script is adapted by Paterson’s son David Paterson, who also co-adapted his mother’s Terabithia tome into the 2007 film. Picturehouse will distribute The Great Gilly Hopkins, which is now filming in and around New York City. Stiles is repped by ICM Partners, Untitled Entertainment and Sloane Offer Weber and Dern.
Katherine Paterson Lit Adaptation ‘The Great Gilly Hopkins’ Adds Julia Stiles, More
What's Hot on Deadline
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Film News
- Focus Features Makes Big Berlin Deal; $9 Million For Interracial Marriage Drama ‘Loving’
- Rob Cohen’s ‘Category 5’ Sees Storm Of Sales Action For Foresight – Berlin
- Paul Rudd, Steve Coogan To Share ‘An Ideal Home’ – Berlin
- Charlotte Rampling To Star With Josh Hartnett In ‘Valley of the Gods’ – Berlin
- ‘Kill Me, Deadly’ Trailer: ‘Criminal Minds’ Crew’s Noir Comedy Gets April 1 Release Date
- Film Movement Bringing France’s ‘My King’ To U.S.