EXCLUSIVE: Julia Stiles has joined the cast of The Great Gilly Hopkins, an adaptation of Bridge To Terabithia author Katherine Paterson’s novel of the same name. The Book Thief‘s Sophia Nelisse is playing young protagonist Gilly, who dreams of being reunited one day with her mysterious and exotic mother. Stiles will play Gilly’s mother. Also newly added to the cast is Bill Cobbs (The Bodyguard, Rake) as Gilly’s blind, kindly neighbor Mr. Randolph. Cobbs stepped into the role replacing previously cast Danny Glover, who dropped out due to scheduling conflicts. Rounding out the cast is Billy Magnussen (Into The Woods, The East) as the youngster’s overworked and underpaid social worker. Kathy Bates, Octavia Spencer, and Glenn Close also co-star. Script is adapted by Paterson’s son David Paterson, who also co-adapted his mother’s Terabithia tome into the 2007 film. Picturehouse will distribute The Great Gilly Hopkins, which is now filming in and around New York City. Stiles is repped by ICM Partners, Untitled Entertainment and Sloane Offer Weber and Dern.
Katherine Paterson Lit Adaptation ‘The Great Gilly Hopkins’ Adds Julia Stiles, More
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Magnolia Moving Towards Ruth Bader Ginsburg Sundance Docu ‘RBG?’
- Hilary Swank On Family Dysfunction In ‘What They Had' – Sundance Studio
- Netflix Circling ‘Cloverfield’ Sequel ‘God Particle’?
- 'Search' Wins Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Film Prize – Sundance
- ‘Westworld’s Angela Sarafyan Set For Ted Bundy Pic ‘Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, And Vile’
- ‘MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A.’ Doc Shines Light On Singer’s Advocacy For Fellow Tamils – Sundance Studio