EXCLUSIVE: XLrator Media has acquired U.S. rights to Housebound, the Kiwi horror comedy from director Gerard Johnstone that premiered in March at SXSW and emerged as one of the fest’s crowd-pleasing discoveries. Morgana O’Reilly stars as Kylie Bucknell, a delinquent young woman sentenced to home detention with her mother, who’s convinced their house is haunted. When Kylie starts hearing whispers and strange bumps in the night she wonders if there really is a hostile spirit in the home unhappy about her return. XLrator is planning a Fall 2014 release via its genre label MACABRE. Rima Te Wiata and Glen-Paul Waru co-star in the pic, which marks writer-director Johnstone’s debut. Housebound is produced by Luke Sharpe for Semi-Professional Pictures and exec produced by Ant Timpson (The ABCs of Death), Daniel Story, and Chris Lambert. Funding came from the New Zealand Film Commission. XLrator’s Barry Gordon negotiated the deal with Nate Bolotin of XYZ Films on behalf of the filmmakers.
XLrator Media Locks In NZ Horror Comedy ‘Housebound’
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Yamato
- Sony Chief “Disappointed” By Obama Rebuke, Hollywood's Cowed Silence
- Fox International Ups Kieran Breen To Marketing President Post
- Sony Hack: BitTorrent Offers To Distribute 'The Interview' On Its Bundle Service
- DGA Stands By 'The Interview' Directors, Calls On Feds To Protect Hollywood
- Aaron Sorkin Still In Bed With John Edwards Exposé 'The Politician'