Hilary Swank will not sit still for profanity in her house in this clip from Tommy Lee Jones‘ Cannes Competition title The Homesman. Jones helms the western drama that marks his return to the lineup as a director — his feature helming debut, The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada, won prizes in Competition in 2005. Jones, Swank, Hailee Steinfeld, Meryl Streep and James Spader form part of the large cast of The Homesman, an adaptation of Glendon Swarthout’s 1988 novel. When three women are driven insane on the edges of the mid-19th century American frontier, the task of delivering them back east falls to a pious spinster (Swank) who employs a drifter (Jones) to aide in the effort. They cross the untamed Nebraska Territories in a journey marked by stark beauty, constant threat, and psychological peril. Their destination is a church in Iowa where a minister’s wife (Streep) waits to relieve them of the lost souls in their care. Luc Besson is a producer and his EuropaCorp is releasing in France. The Homesman has its official screening on Sunday May 18.
Hot Cannes Clip: Tommy Lee Jones’ ‘The Homesman’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- N Korea Warns UK Over C4 Political Thriller: “Anti-DPRK Hysteria” Would Bring “Disgrace And Self-Destruction”
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”
- 'X Factor UK' With Returning Simon Cowell Sheds 1M+ Viewers On Sunday (Video)
- Update: Oz Grants Disney Transfer Of Tax Incentive To Lure 'Pirates 5′ Down Under
- Update: Int'l Box Office: 'Apes' Dawns In China With $47M; 'Into The Storm' Whips Up Korea #1; 'Lucy' Crosses $150M; More