The studio originally had set the Jack Black starrer Goosebumps for March 23, 2016, and in March it targeted the untitled Smurfs reboot for August 2015. Scratch that. Now Sony says director Rob Letterman’s adaptation of the popular R.L. Stine book series will start its kid-scaring on August 7, 2015, and the little blue guys will return to theaters for Round 3 on August 5, 2016. Compared to its predecessor, the live-action/toon hybrid sequel The Smurfs 2 pretty much bombed when it debuted on the same weekend last year — August 2, to be exact. So for the third go-round, Sony brass tapped Gnomeo & Juliet and Shrek 2 helmer Kelly Asbury to direct an all-animated film with new designs and environments that will focus on the creatures origins and hew more closely to the original artwork. So as it’s set now, Original Film’s Goosebumps will counterprogram Fox’s vidgame adaptation Assassin’s Creed, and Untilted Smurfs Movie has no competitors on its weekend yet.
A Sony Switcheroo: ‘Smurfs’ Reboot Pushed To 2016, ‘Goosebumps’ Moved Up To Summer 2015
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Latest Film News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- CAA Signs Actor & Singer Mike Angelo
- NBCU Intl Acquires ‘The Outpost’ For Syfy; IQiyi Advancing On IPO – Global Briefs
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere