In its continued push to entice UK viewers with first-run series, Amazon Prime Instant Video has acquired exclusive rights to Halle Berry sci-fi thriller Extant. The CBS Television Studios and Amblin Television co-production will air on the service one day after the U.S. broadcast. It launches Stateside on CBS on July 9 and will be available in the UK on July 10. Subsequent episodes will follow the same pattern. Berry plays an astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately change the course of human history. Goran Visnjic, Camryn Manheim, Michael O’Neill, Hiroyuki Sanada, Pierce Gagnon and Grace Gummer also star. Amazon folded its LoveFilm streaming service into its British website in February, combining it with Amazon Prime to effectively create the UK’s largest digital TV and film streaming provider. With a catalog of over 15,000 movies and TV episodes, it’s the main rival to Netflix. Among its TV offerings are The Walking Dead and Vikings which are also available the day after their U.S. broadcast. Amazon has pledged to increase its investment in original programming, and made good on the promise when it rode to the rescue of cancelled BBC drama Ripper Street earlier this year. The 3rd season commission started shooting last week in Manchester.
‘Extant’ To Blast Off On UK’s Amazon Prime Instant One Day After U.S. Broadcast
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Tartaglione
- Shah Rukh Khan's 'Happy New Year' Released Direct To Fans Online
- ITV Invests In Ex-Maker CEO's Zealot Networks
- George Clooney, Jeremy Piven, Strip Poker & More In 'Downton' Charity Spoof (Video)
- Berlin Film Festival Ties On 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' International Premiere
- China Says It's Against Cyberterrorism; Stays Mum On North Korea, Helping U.S.
- 'Hobbit' Rules While Chinese, Indian And French Films Make Noise: Intl BO Update