EXCLUSIVE: While Warner Bros brought Ryan Gosling‘s directorial debut Lost River to Cannes, I’m hearing that the studio now is chatting with specialty distributors about the possibility of one of them acquiring and releasing the film. Nothing’s definite, but this is about doing the best thing for Gosling and his Bold Films-funded pic. The actor’s helming bow premiered yesterday and got a polarized reaction. Despite that, this potential move could be the best thing possible for Gosling and the movie he worked so hard on. Given what I’ve read about the story, it doesn’t at all seem appropriate for a big distributor like Warner Bros. Give that studio Godzilla or The Lego Movie and they’ll hit it out of the park. They did well with Spike Jonze’s Her and Argo, and some of those movies Gosling has made for the studio as an actor. This seems like one of those films that is smaller, and requires the care and feeding that the specialty distributors can take the time to do. There will also likely be some fine tuning as Gosling takes feedback from the festival and readies his film for release during the late fall. These meetings are underway right now, and some of the distributors are feeling like, “What took you so long?” I would not be surprised to see this movie get released with another distributor’s logo. Stay tuned.
Cannes: Warner Bros Talking To Indie Distributors About Ryan Gosling’s ‘Lost River’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Black Panther’ Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; ‘Operation Red Sea’ Rises In China – International…
- 'Operation Red Sea' Tops Newcomers; 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $55M – Specialty Box Office
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…