EXCLUSIVE: Melissa George is attached to star in coming-of-age tale The Insect King. Written and directed by first-time feature helmer Priscilla Cameron, the film will kick off sales via 108 Media in Cannes next week. The story follows a motherless 13-year-old boy who falls in love with an exotic 40-year-old woman only to discover that he is in competition with his father for her affections. Produced by Bridget Callow-Wright, Insect King also stars Taika Waititi (Green Lantern) and Australia’s Sophie Lowe (Autumn Blood, Beautiful Kate). Abhi Rastogi, CEO of 108 Media, calls the project “an avant-garde masterpiece” that combines “comedy, drama, romance and fantasy to create a fairytale exploration of the magic of love.” George, who’s had a recurring role on The Good Wife this season, is the female lead opposite Rufus Sewell in ABC’s untitled Richard LaGravenese drama pilot. She’s repped by WME. Also on 108’s Cannes Market slate are cannibal pic He Never Died with Henry Rollins, and morality tale The Privileged with Sam Trammell (True Blood). It will release thriller Autumn Blood in June in NY, LA and select markets.
Cannes: Melissa George To Topline ‘The Insect King’; 108 Media Selling
What's Hot on Deadline
'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 2 New TV Spots Promote Gotham City, Metropolis & Turkish Airlines
Latest Film News
- Bart & Fleming: Ava DuVernay In Demand; CEO Mischief And Focus Feature Casualties; ‘Spotlight’s…
- J.K. Simmons & Julie Delpy To Star In ‘The Bachelors’ From ‘Unbroken,’ ‘Descendants…
- ‘Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates’ Trailer: Can Efron & Devine Out-Party Kendrick & Plaza?
- Morgan Freeman To Receive Chaplin Award From Film Society Of Lincoln Center
- ‘The Lobster’ Trailer: Colin Farrell & Rachel Weisz In Offbeat Near-Future Love Story
- Indie Drama ‘Five Nights In Maine’ Acquired By FilmRise