EXCLUSIVE: Melissa George is attached to star in coming-of-age tale The Insect King. Written and directed by first-time feature helmer Priscilla Cameron, the film will kick off sales via 108 Media in Cannes next week. The story follows a motherless 13-year-old boy who falls in love with an exotic 40-year-old woman only to discover that he is in competition with his father for her affections. Produced by Bridget Callow-Wright, Insect King also stars Taika Waititi (Green Lantern) and Australia’s Sophie Lowe (Autumn Blood, Beautiful Kate). Abhi Rastogi, CEO of 108 Media, calls the project “an avant-garde masterpiece” that combines “comedy, drama, romance and fantasy to create a fairytale exploration of the magic of love.” George, who’s had a recurring role on The Good Wife this season, is the female lead opposite Rufus Sewell in ABC’s untitled Richard LaGravenese drama pilot. She’s repped by WME. Also on 108’s Cannes Market slate are cannibal pic He Never Died with Henry Rollins, and morality tale The Privileged with Sam Trammell (True Blood). It will release thriller Autumn Blood in June in NY, LA and select markets.
Cannes: Melissa George To Topline ‘The Insect King'; 108 Media Selling
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Tartaglione
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: 'Force Majeure', 'Ida' In; 'White God', 'Mommy' Miss Cut
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2