EXCLUSIVE: IFC Films has taken all North American rights on SXSW Gamechanger Award winner Kelly & Cal, a first time feature by Jen McGowan. At the same time, Dean Devlin’s Electric Entertainment has picked up all international rights and will sell the pic in Cannes. Juliette Lewis stars in the comedy/drama that was penned by Amy Lowe Starbin. Lewis plays Kelly, a former rocker who’s now a suburban mom nostalgic for a life she can no longer have and uncertain of a future where she doesn’t yet fit. Cal, played by Jonny Weston, is a 17-year-old frustrated at his lack of control over a recent life-altering incident. When the two strike up an unlikely friendship, it’s the perfect spark needed to thrust them both back to life. Cybill Shepherd also stars. Adi Ezroni and Mandy Tagger-Brockey of Spring Pictures are producers. Electric’s Head of International Distribution, Sonia Mehandjiyska, will shop the title this week while IFC is planning a North American release for later this year. “Juliette Lewis delivers a brilliant performance in Kelly & Cal and I think fans around the world will consider this one of the best roles she has played,” said Mehandjiyska. Marc H. Simon of Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers with Mehandjiyska for Electric and with Arianna Bocco and Sean Berney on behalf of IFC Films, along with ICM Partners.
Cannes: IFC Acquires SXSW Pic ‘Kelly & Cal’; Electric Takes On International Sales
What's Hot on Deadline
Cannes Winners: 'Shoplifters' Takes Palme D'Or; Spike Lee's 'BlacKkKlansman' Is Grand Prize - Full List
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry Tells Meghan Markle She "Looks Amazing", Bishop Curry's Speech And Other Unforgettable Moments
Rose McGowan Reads Hollywood Missive In Surprise 'Letters Live' NYC Appearance; Joins Benedict Cumberbatch, Edie Falco
'SNL' Finale Highlights: Tina Fey Dusts Off Sarah Palin Impersonation, Takes Celebs' Questions, Yes-Ands In 'Chicago Improv'
Latest Film News
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Swinging In As Second-Best Opening For R-Rated Pic With $125M
- 'No Blood Was Shed': Jury Head Cate Blanchett On Gender, Race And Choosing The 'Right' Palme D'Or
- Cannes: Human Stories And World Politics Are Deservedly Big Winners On The Cote d’Azur
- Netflix Gets North Am, Latin Am Rights To Cannes Award-Winners ‘Happy As Lazzaro’ And ‘Girl’
- Jury Prize Winner Nadine Labaki's 'Capernaum' Captures The Reality Of A Life in Hell For Lebanon's Invisible Generation…
- Disney Chairman/CEO Bob Iger Tweets Supporting Gun Control In Wake Of Texas Shootings