EXCLUSIVE: IFC Films has taken all North American rights on SXSW Gamechanger Award winner Kelly & Cal, a first time feature by Jen McGowan. At the same time, Dean Devlin’s Electric Entertainment has picked up all international rights and will sell the pic in Cannes. Juliette Lewis stars in the comedy/drama that was penned by Amy Lowe Starbin. Lewis plays Kelly, a former rocker who’s now a suburban mom nostalgic for a life she can no longer have and uncertain of a future where she doesn’t yet fit. Cal, played by Jonny Weston, is a 17-year-old frustrated at his lack of control over a recent life-altering incident. When the two strike up an unlikely friendship, it’s the perfect spark needed to thrust them both back to life. Cybill Shepherd also stars. Adi Ezroni and Mandy Tagger-Brockey of Spring Pictures are producers. Electric’s Head of International Distribution, Sonia Mehandjiyska, will shop the title this week while IFC is planning a North American release for later this year. “Juliette Lewis delivers a brilliant performance in Kelly & Cal and I think fans around the world will consider this one of the best roles she has played,” said Mehandjiyska. Marc H. Simon of Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers with Mehandjiyska for Electric and with Arianna Bocco and Sean Berney on behalf of IFC Films, along with ICM Partners.
Cannes: IFC Acquires SXSW Pic ‘Kelly & Cal'; Electric Takes On International Sales
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Venice: Al Pacino Waxes On Depression, The Actors Studio & The “Amazing” 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'
- Venice: '99 Homes' Takes On The 1% With Andrew Garfield, Michael Shannon (Video)
- Global Showbiz Briefs: DreamWorks Signs 4- Series Deal With South Korea's Studio Mir; Veteran Aussie Actor Bill Kerr Dies; More
- Venice: Bogdanovich Unveils Screwball Comedy 'She's Funny That Way', Riffs On 'Lost Hollywood'
- Global Showbiz Briefs Chinese Web Giant Youku Launches Heyi Film; eOne Acquires 'Seed' Producer Force Four; More
- Venice: Lido Digs Story Of Charlie Chaplin Graverobbers 'The Price Of Fame'