EXCLUSIVE: IFC Films has taken all North American rights on SXSW Gamechanger Award winner Kelly & Cal, a first time feature by Jen McGowan. At the same time, Dean Devlin’s Electric Entertainment has picked up all international rights and will sell the pic in Cannes. Juliette Lewis stars in the comedy/drama that was penned by Amy Lowe Starbin. Lewis plays Kelly, a former rocker who’s now a suburban mom nostalgic for a life she can no longer have and uncertain of a future where she doesn’t yet fit. Cal, played by Jonny Weston, is a 17-year-old frustrated at his lack of control over a recent life-altering incident. When the two strike up an unlikely friendship, it’s the perfect spark needed to thrust them both back to life. Cybill Shepherd also stars. Adi Ezroni and Mandy Tagger-Brockey of Spring Pictures are producers. Electric’s Head of International Distribution, Sonia Mehandjiyska, will shop the title this week while IFC is planning a North American release for later this year. “Juliette Lewis delivers a brilliant performance in Kelly & Cal and I think fans around the world will consider this one of the best roles she has played,” said Mehandjiyska. Marc H. Simon of Cowan DeBaets Abrahams & Sheppard negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers with Mehandjiyska for Electric and with Arianna Bocco and Sean Berney on behalf of IFC Films, along with ICM Partners.
Cannes: IFC Acquires SXSW Pic ‘Kelly & Cal’; Electric Takes On International Sales
What's Hot on Deadline
Jimmy Kimmel Defends Florida Students Under Attack From Far Right Wingnuts Ted Nugent, Donald Trump Jr.
Latest Film News
- The 16-Year Journey To Release For Duncan Jones And ‘Mute’ – Q&A
- ‘Goosebumps 2’: Madison Iseman, Ben O'Brien, Caleel Harris & Jeremy Ray Taylor Set As Leads
- Skydance Media Taps ‘Tangled’s Nathan Greno In Multiyear Deal, Will Direct ‘Powerless’
- Global Road Entertainment Acquires Action Thriller ‘Hotel Artemis,’ Ensemble Led By Jodie Foster
- ‘Dunkirk’ Cinematographer Hoyte Van Hoytema On Christopher Nolan’s Visceral Approach To Cinema
- Tooley Entertainment Acquires ‘The Fight Before Christmas’ Out Of Broad Green Pictures