Gravitas Ventures has taken all North American rights to 21 Years: Richard Linklater, a feature-length documentary directed by Paste Magazine’s Michael Dunaway and co-helmer Tara Wood. Richard Linklater collaborators and actors including Before Sunrise‘s Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, Jack Black, Matthew McConaughey, Billy Bob Thornton, Keanu Reeves, and director Jason Reitman appear in the film which theorizes that the first 21 years of an artist’s work defines their career. For the Oscar-nominated writer-director that’s been quite a creative span, starting with his 1988 minimalist Super8 feature It’s Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books. The doc starts the clock with Linklater’s 1991 Sundance breakout film, Slacker. 21 Years also looks at his latest film, Boyhood, which was shot over the course of 12 years and won him Best Director honors at the Berlin Film Festival. Wood, Dunaway, and Gravitas’ Melanie Miller are producers on the pic. Gravitas’ Nolan Gallagher and Michael Murphy are exec producers alongside Pamela Sutton, Robert C. McGirr, Mario Davila, William Pedroza, & Gregory Norman McGuire. Miller negotiated the deal with Wood for Wood Entertainment. Gravitas and Wood are also selling the film this week in Cannes.
Cannes: Gravitas Ventures Acquires Career-Spanning Docu ’21 Years: Richard Linklater’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Yamato
- MMA Pastor Doc 'Fight Church' Inks Distribution, Morgan Spurlock TV Deal
- Alex Kurtzman's Secret Hideout Inks 3-Year Universal Deal
- Telluride: Fandor Acquires Sci-Fi Short 'The Sand Storm' Starring Ai Weiwei
- A Year After First Peek, Universal Trailers Delayed 'Seventh Son'
- Jena Malone, Douglas Smith Lead 'Bottom Of The World'; Nick Braun Heads To 'Stanford'; David Coussins Joins 'Good Kids'