Hollywood is jumping through hoops to infiltrate China; now, a Chinese company is returning the favor. China Lion Film Distribution acquired U.S. and Canada rights to the Enlight Pictures’ romantic comedy The Breakup Guru, which it will also release in Australia and New Zealand day-and-date with its June 27 release in China. Pic stars Deng Chao (who co-directed the film with Yu Baimei) and Yang Mi. Deng Chao is a member of the Chinese National Theatre from Mainland China, with credits that include The Four Franchise, and Detective Dee And The Mystery Of The Phantom Flame. Yang Mi is a well-known Chinese actress known for her roles in Tiny Times and Painted Skin: The Resurrection, the latter of which China Lion Australian/New Zealand previously released. Breakup Guru follows the misadventures of a man (Deng Chao) hired to do one of the most uncomfortable jobs ever: break-up with someone. Excelling at his job, a client (Yang Mi) finds him more of a nuisance to get rid of. Here’s the teaser trailer:
Cannes: China Lion Roars For North American Rights On ‘The Breakup Guru’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office FINAL: 'Maze Runner' Finds $32.5M; Liam's 'Walk' Limps In With $12.7M; 'Where I Leave You,' $11.5M
More From Fleming Jr
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'
- Hamptons Fest Gets 'St. Vincent' Opener; Now They Pray For St. Bill
- Bryan Cranston In 'The Great Wall' Talks
- Bryan Singer Set To Helm 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- MGM Buys 55% Of Roma Downey And Mark Burnett's Empire; Relaunches United Artists
- Lava Bear Joins Chinese Pic 'The Bodyguard'