Hollywood is jumping through hoops to infiltrate China; now, a Chinese company is returning the favor. China Lion Film Distribution acquired U.S. and Canada rights to the Enlight Pictures’ romantic comedy The Breakup Guru, which it will also release in Australia and New Zealand day-and-date with its June 27 release in China. Pic stars Deng Chao (who co-directed the film with Yu Baimei) and Yang Mi. Deng Chao is a member of the Chinese National Theatre from Mainland China, with credits that include The Four Franchise, and Detective Dee And The Mystery Of The Phantom Flame. Yang Mi is a well-known Chinese actress known for her roles in Tiny Times and Painted Skin: The Resurrection, the latter of which China Lion Australian/New Zealand previously released. Breakup Guru follows the misadventures of a man (Deng Chao) hired to do one of the most uncomfortable jobs ever: break-up with someone. Excelling at his job, a client (Yang Mi) finds him more of a nuisance to get rid of. Here’s the teaser trailer:
Cannes: China Lion Roars For North American Rights On ‘The Breakup Guru’
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Netflix Sets 'Crouching Tiger 2′ As 1st Feature; Hollywood's Nightmare?
- 'Boyhood's Richard Linklater Baseball Pic Fielded By Annapurna, Paramount
- Matt Bomer Joins Ryan Gosling & Russell Crowe In 'The Nice Guys'
- 'Saturday Night Live' Debut: Who Directed This Hot Mess?
- Gerard Butler Eyes Babak Najafi As 'Olympus Has Fallen' Sequel Helmer
- Bart & Fleming: On 70s Films, UA Resurrection, Goat Horns And Glory