The company is launching its first longform projects, ordering eight episodes each of the comedies Other Space and Sin City Saints. The news hurls Yahoo, which made the announcement today during its NewFront presentation in NYC, into the original-content streaming business alongside the like of Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Freaks And Geeks creator Paul Feig is behind Other Space, a galactic adventure set in the early 22nd century, when the human race has mapped most of the known universe, failed to find alien life, and frankly gotten a little tired of the whole thing. A spaceship on a routine collection mission stumbles into the greatest discovery in history: an alternate universe, far stranger and way more dangerous than ours. Now the ship’s crew — a collection of over-matched rookies, feuding siblings, burned-out veterans and obsolete robots — has to explore this new universe to try and find a way back home alive. Sin City Saints, from EP Mike Tollin (One Tree Hill, Smallville, Varsity Blues) and director Bryan Gordon (Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office) is an off-beat comedy set in the front office of a fictional pro basketball expansion team. It centers on Jake Tullus, a Silicon Valley tycoon whose lifelong dream was to buy a pro basketball team but quickly finds he’s in over his head. The group he assembled to run Las Vegas’ first pro sports team won’t be much help.
Yahoo Preps Pair Of Original 30-Minute Comedy Series For Web
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Team
- UPDATE: Warner Bros Moves Up 'Entourage' Release By A Week
- Terry Keenan Dead: Longtime Business Reporter-Anchor At CNN, CNBC & Fox News
- Film Independent Spirit Awards 2015 To Be Broadcast Live On IFC
- Lyndsy Fonseca Joins 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- Jim Parsons To Star In Animated 'Elf' Holiday Special On NBC
- 'Madam Secretary' Coming To U.K. On Sky Living; NBCUniversal International Television Production Pacts With TV3 Group Ireland…