Chernin Entertainment and Gary Sanchez Productions’ Match Maker is based on Don Van Matta Jr’s ESPN The Magazine article “The Match Maker: Bobby Riggs, The Mafia And The Battle Of The Sexes,” centering on the 1973 exhibition tennis match between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs that drew 50 million TV viewers. King, then 29 and at the height of her powers, beat Riggs, the a 55-year-old retired pro — though there’s always been speculation there’s more to the story. Will Ferrell is now attached to play Riggs, and The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty scribe Steven Conrad has been hired to write the script. Variety had this break first.
Will Ferrell To Star In Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs Pic ‘Match Maker’
Trending Now on Deadline
Oscar Watch: From Aniston To Bening To Rowlands Best Actress Dark Horses Make Their Move In "Thin" Field
More From Hipes
- 'Peanuts' Trailer: Does It Pass The Uncanny Valley Test?
- 'Wild' Producer On Reese Witherspoon's Emotional Trek: The Contenders
- PGA Awards 2016 Date Finalized
- SundanceTV Reunites 'Cold In July' Crew For Joe Lansdale Series 'Hap And Leonard'
- Joan Allen & William H Macy Book 'Room'