Fox Searchlight has debuted the trailer to Mike Cahill‘s provocative sci-fi romance feature. The film marks Cahill’s second directorial feature following Another Earth. Similar to that film three years ago, I Origins took home the Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize at this year’s Sundance Film Festival, an award that is bestowed to a film that focuses on science or technology as a theme or depicts a scientist, mathematician or engineer as a major character. Fitting the latter part of that description in I Origins is molecular biologist Dr. Ian Gray (Boardwalk Empire‘s Michael Pitt), who is pursuing his Ph.D. in eye evolution with med student Karen (Brit Marling) as his lab assistant. While Karen is set on giving non-seeing organisms (i.e. worms) a pair of eyes, Dr. Gray only has eyes for Sofi (Astrid Berges-Frisbey), a mysterious beauty who captivates his life. Years later, after her departure, Karen and Dr. Gray make a discovery that jolts their world, sending them to India to validate their theory. Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife) and Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) also star. Searchlight, which also distributed Another Earth, acquired worldwide rights on I Origins at Sundance for about $3 million. I Origins bows July 18. Take a look:
Hot Trailer: ‘I Origins’
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- A24, DirecTV Acquire Liam Hemsworth Thriller 'Cut Bank'
- Jeffrey Katzenberg Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video
- David Yates In Talks For 'Harry Potter' Spin-Off 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Damon Lindelof Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video
- EOne Acquires Liz Tuccillo's SXSW Rom-Com 'Take Care'
- TNT Nabs Rights To Lionsgate's 'Hunger Games' & 'Divergent' Franchises