NBC acquired the U.S. broadcast rights to comedy Welcome To Sweden last October and will debut it on July 10. The series, created by Greg Poehler, recently started airing on TV4 in the titular territory. After two weeks there, it’s been recommissioned for a second season. The network has ordered a further 10 episodes of the fish-out-of-water tale that was its first-ever English-speaking series. Siblings Greg and Amy Poehler executive produce the comedy which is based on Greg’s own true life experiences. In the two weeks it’s aired on TV4, it is the channel’s No. 2 rated show and is No. 1 across younger demographics. The story revolves around New York accountant, Bruce, played by Poehler in his acting debut, who falls in love with a Swedish girl, Emma (Josephine Bornebusch) and follows his heart to Sweden. Lena Olin co-stars as Emma’s mother Viveka, and Illeana Douglas and Patrick Duffy play Bruce’s parents. Amy Poehler, Will Ferrell, Aubrey Plaza and Gene Simmons have cameos in the first season. “It’s an amazing feeling to create a show to which people are responding so favorably. We intend to make season two even better,” says Greg Poehler. Welcome To Sweden is produced by Entertainment One Television, TV4 and Syskon. Fredrik Arefalk exec produces for TV4 and Carrie Stein for Entertainment One which is handling worldwide rights in all media.
MIPTV: Greg & Amy Poehler’s ‘Welcome To Sweden’ Gets Second Season Order At TV4
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Madea' To Push Well Past $27M As 'Jack Reacher' Takes $22M to $23M; 'Joneses' Can't Keep Up - Sun. AM Update
Latest International News
- ‘Jack Reacher’ Cuffs $31M; ‘Girl’, ‘Inferno’, ‘Peregrine’ At Milestones – Intl…
- Sony Pictures Int’l Pacts With Producers Eduardo Cisneros & Jason Shuman
- Len Blavatnik’s AI Film Boards Margot Robbie-Starrer ‘I, Tonya’
- China’s Alibaba Pictures Takes Film Rights To Children’s Book Series ‘Warriors’
- Jesse Plemons Joins Kirsten Dunst’s Directorial Debut ‘The Bell Jar’
- Another Anti-Trump Documentary On Way: ‘You’ve Been Trumped Too’