No surprise here: The backers of the Dumb And Dumber sequel are hitting back against RICO claims made by the movie’s producers three weeks ago. In the latest salvo in the ongoing legal spat, Red Granite‘s Riza Aziz and Joey McFarland today urged a judge to toss Steve Stabler and Brad Krevoy’s April 9 claim that “Red Granite is funded with monies that include proceeds from unlawful activities.” In their demurrer motion (read it here), the defendants say they will file a motion for sanctions if the plaintiffs don’t withdraw their racketeering charges within 21 days. McFarland and Aziz assert in the filing that “the RICO claim fails for numerous reasons including: (a) Plaintiffs lack of standing to assert the claim; (b) there are literally no facts alleged to support the claim; and (c) there is no nexus whatsoever between any alleged “predicate act” of racketeering and any harm allegedly suffered by the Plaintiffs.” Krevoy and Stabler are suing for compensation they claim they’re owed on Dumb And Dumber To, which is being prepped without their involvement by Red Granite who stepped in to back the project after Warner Bros fell out.
‘Dumb & Dumber To’ Financiers Fire Back At Producers Over Charges Of Ill-Gotten Gains
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev 'Mortal Engines'; Directing Debut For 'Hobbit' VFX Protege Christian Rivers
Latest Film News
- ‘American Pastoral’ Review: Ewan McGregor’s Directorial Debut Deserves A Better Reception
- Warner Bros Sues Innovative Artists For Oscar Screener Piracy Of ‘Creed’ + More
- EuropaCorp Boards English-Language Remake of Japanese Thriller 'Shield of Straw'
- ‘The Conjuring’s Hayes Brothers Writing Duo Sign With CAA
- ‘Madea Halloween’ Gets $28.5M Treat, ‘Jack Reacher,’ $22.8M, ‘Ouija’ Grabs $14M, ‘Joneses’ Tanks…
- Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev ‘Mortal Engines’; Directing Debut For ‘Hobbit’ VFX Protege…