French debut feature Party Girl, written and directed by the trio of Marie Amachoukeli, Claire Burger and Samuel Theis, has been selected as the opening night movie for the Cannes Film Festival‘s Un Certain Regard section. The title is a bit of a misnomer considering Party Girl is about a 60-year-old night club hostess who still loves men and enjoys partying. But as the senior member on staff, she begins to feel she has reached the end of the line and impulsively agrees to marry regular client, Michel. The film is a portrait of a free woman who has chosen to live on the margins of conventional society, and delves deep into a France that is often underrepresented, the festival says. Elzévir Films produced Party Girl which will be released locally by Pyramide Films. The co-directors are graduates of France’s national film school, La Fémis. They have previously collabroated on shorts Forbach, a Cinéfondation selection in 2008; C’est Gratuit Pour Les Filles, a Critics’ Week selection in 2009 and a César winner; and 2013’s Demolition Party. The UCR section is committed to discovering new talent and calls Party Girl, “innovative both in its form and its subject.” It also reflects the desire of recently appointed UCR jury president Pablo Trapero “to present a passionate selection of established masters, young talents and new forms of cinema.” Party Girl will open the section on May 15.
Cannes: France’s ‘Party Girl’ To Open Un Certain Regard Section
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- N Korea Warns UK Over C4 Political Thriller: “Anti-DPRK Hysteria” Would Bring “Disgrace And Self-Destruction”
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”
- Update: Oz Grants Disney Transfer Of Tax Incentive To Lure 'Pirates 5′ Down Under
- Update: Int'l Box Office: 'Apes' Dawns In China With $47M; 'Into The Storm' Whips Up Korea #1; 'Lucy' Crosses $150M; More