French debut feature Party Girl, written and directed by the trio of Marie Amachoukeli, Claire Burger and Samuel Theis, has been selected as the opening night movie for the Cannes Film Festival‘s Un Certain Regard section. The title is a bit of a misnomer considering Party Girl is about a 60-year-old night club hostess who still loves men and enjoys partying. But as the senior member on staff, she begins to feel she has reached the end of the line and impulsively agrees to marry regular client, Michel. The film is a portrait of a free woman who has chosen to live on the margins of conventional society, and delves deep into a France that is often underrepresented, the festival says. Elzévir Films produced Party Girl which will be released locally by Pyramide Films. The co-directors are graduates of France’s national film school, La Fémis. They have previously collabroated on shorts Forbach, a Cinéfondation selection in 2008; C’est Gratuit Pour Les Filles, a Critics’ Week selection in 2009 and a César winner; and 2013’s Demolition Party. The UCR section is committed to discovering new talent and calls Party Girl, “innovative both in its form and its subject.” It also reflects the desire of recently appointed UCR jury president Pablo Trapero “to present a passionate selection of established masters, young talents and new forms of cinema.” Party Girl will open the section on May 15.
Cannes: France’s ‘Party Girl’ To Open Un Certain Regard Section
What's Hot on Deadline
'X-Men: Apocalypse' Dawns With $101.5M; 'Angry Birds' Sings With $55.5M, 'Zootopia' #4 Animated Pic Ever Worldwide - Intl Box Office Final
'Fear The Walking Dead' EP Gale Anne Hurd Talks Explosive Midseason Finale, 'Walking Dead' Season 7 & What's Next
'Angry Birds' Takes Flight With $38M No. 1 Debut, 'Sorority' Rushes $21.7M, 'Nice Guys' Finish Last With $11.2M - Final B.O.
Latest Film News
- John Carpenter To Exec Produce New ‘Halloween’ For Miramax, Trancas & Blumhouse
- Guns N’ Roses Docu Gets 50-City Theatrical Preview From XLrator
- Alicia Coppola Joins ‘Cowgirl’s Story’; Johnathon Schaech Lands Roles In ‘Philly Fury’, ‘Day Of The Dead…
- DreamWorks Animation Hires Exec From Paramount As New Head Of Development
- Sony Acquires Thriller Pitch From Scribe Lori Evans Taylor For Akiva Goldsman To Produce
- SAG-AFTRA Files Unfair Labor Charges Against Ad Giant Grey Global