Pablo Trapero‘s last appearance at the Cannes Film Festival was with his Un Certain Regard title Elefante Blanco in 2012. He’ll now head up the jury for that section, which runs parallel to the Competition and includes 20 features to be unveiled on April 17. A festival circuit staple, the Argentinean writer, producer and director’s first feature, Mundo Grúa, received the Critics’ Award at the Venice Film Festival in 1999. His second, El Bonaerense, was selected at the 2002 Cannes festival in the UCR section and in 2008, his Leonera screened in Competition. Carancho was also in UCR in 2010. Trapero’s oeuvre is known for its quasi documentary style, that offers an uncompromising look at contemporary political issues. He also works with young Argentinean filmmakers via his production company, Matanza Cine. Today, he said, “I am very proud to serve as president of the jury for Un Certain Regard. Proud to take part in another way in the adventure in Cannes. Un Certain Regard, where I have presented three of my films, is always a very exciting selection. It brings us grand masters, promising young talent, new countries and new forms of cinema.” Trapero follows Thomas Vinterberg who was president last year and gave its top prize to Rithy Panh’s The Missing Picture, which went on to a Foreign Language Oscar nomination. This year’s winner will be announced on May 23. The festival runs from May 14-25.
Cannes: Argentina’s Pablo Trapero Named Un Certain Regard Jury President
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
More From Tartaglione
- Will Sony Hack Impact UK Channel 4's North Korea Spy Thriller 'Opposite Number'?
- Q&A: Adopt Films' Tim Grady On Getting Americans To See Foreign-Lingo Movies
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 3
- 'The Interview' A No-Go Internationally As Well
- Foreign Language Oscar Shortlist: A Preview Of Possibilities, Part 2
- Japan-North Korea Talks Seen Unaffected By Sony Hack Attack Revelations