We should have seen this coming. AwesomenessTV’s comedy videos make it a big deal for teens and kids in the YouTube world, and it has a series on Nickelodeon. That makes it a natural to get into the licensed merchandise business. The DreamWorks Animation owned operation says this morning that it hired former Claire’s Stores CEO and former Disney Stores Worldwide president James Fielding to be AwesomenessTV’s Global Head of Consumer Products and Retail. “AwesomenessTV has built an amazing brand in a very short time, engaging teens around the world,” he says. “This is an incredible opportunity. I look forward to building a long-term business strategy around consumer products and retail experiences that speaks to our fans in new and innovative ways.” He has a lot of running room: AwesomenessTV still isn’t a big moneymaker for DWA. The online video operation contributed just $2.4M in profit and $11.4M in revenue to the studio last year after it committed $33M — with potentially $117M more if it meets performance targets — in May to acquire it. DWA still believes in online video: Last week it agreed to pay $15M for Big Frame, another online multi-channel network operation.
AwesomenessTV To Enter The Licensed Merchandise Business
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Assassination Of Gianni Versace' Season Finale: What Does Designer's Murder Mean 20 Years Later?
Ryan Murphy On '9-1-1's Ratings Success, Season 2 Details, Connie Britton's Future On the Show & Potential Spinoff Series
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Deleted Scene Features Tom Hardy, Prince Harry & Prince William As Storm Troopers
'Once Upon A Time' Series Finale: Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Josh Dallas & Emilie de Ravin Returning
Hallmark Channel Upfront Presentation Canceled Due To Storm; Net Makes Announcements, Including ‘When Calls the Heart’ Renewal, At Central Park Event
Latest Business News
- Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg Offers Apology On CNN For Data Leak: “This Was A Major Breach Of Trust”
- On Eve Of AT&T-DOJ Trial, Media Business Weighs The Stakes
- Rosario Dawson, Rubén Blades Contribute To Comics Anthology ‘Ricanstruction’ Benefiting Puerto Rico…
- Andrew McCabe Investigated Jeff Sessions About Russian Contacts Months Before Sessions Sacked Him: ABC News
- Disneyland’s Pirates Of The Caribbean Ride Makes Some Changes To Controversial Bride Auction Scene
- Meredith Plans 1,200 Layoffs & Will Sell Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune And Money