We should have seen this coming. AwesomenessTV’s comedy videos make it a big deal for teens and kids in the YouTube world, and it has a series on Nickelodeon. That makes it a natural to get into the licensed merchandise business. The DreamWorks Animation owned operation says this morning that it hired former Claire’s Stores CEO and former Disney Stores Worldwide president James Fielding to be AwesomenessTV’s Global Head of Consumer Products and Retail. “AwesomenessTV has built an amazing brand in a very short time, engaging teens around the world,” he says. “This is an incredible opportunity. I look forward to building a long-term business strategy around consumer products and retail experiences that speaks to our fans in new and innovative ways.” He has a lot of running room: AwesomenessTV still isn’t a big moneymaker for DWA. The online video operation contributed just $2.4M in profit and $11.4M in revenue to the studio last year after it committed $33M — with potentially $117M more if it meets performance targets — in May to acquire it. DWA still believes in online video: Last week it agreed to pay $15M for Big Frame, another online multi-channel network operation.
AwesomenessTV To Enter The Licensed Merchandise Business
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Why Wall Street Remains Wary About Viacom
- Are Advertisers Getting Ready To Leave The Super Bowl Party?
- Univision Extends CEO Randy Falco’s Contract To 2018
- Nickelodeon Developing A Direct-To-Consumer Subscription Service
- Viacom Q4 Revenues Miss Expectations With 6% Drop In U.S. Ad Sales
- NBC (Finally) Sells Out Super Bowl Ad Inventory