AOL has commissioned its first longform video series which is based on the Israeli cable format Mehubarim. Known as Connected in international markets, the observational documentary series will air on premium video platform, AOL On Network. It’s AOL’s first acquisition and adaptation of a new storytelling format which sees the participants film themselves. Created by Ram Landes of Israel’s Koda Communications, the U.S. version of Connected will chronicle the lives of five seemingly disconnected New Yorkers as their parallel stories unfold and eventually come together. Local versions currently air in Israel, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Holland, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania and Ukraine. Koda will produce Connected in the U.S. with a debut set for April 29 at AOL’s Digital Content NewFronts. It is then expected to premiere via On Network in January and will be available across a selection of partner sites. Tal Simantov, AOL’s VP of Global Video Strategy, says, “As we expand our original content offerings, and dive into new international markets, it makes sense for us to carry over unique production styles to the United States. Connected has seen major success across the globe, and we are confident that the universal themes and focus on real life will speak just as loudly to American audiences as they have abroad.” Here’s a teaser from AOL that incorporates footage from some international versions:
AOL Orders Longform Series ‘Connected’ Based On Israeli Format (Video)
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Scottish Independence Vote: If The Ayes Have It, What Happens For Film & TV Biz?
- ITV Closes Curtain On 'Rising Star'; UK Version Will Not Go Forward
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Rome Film Festival Reveals First 5 English-Language Titles; Soda Pictures Bringing 'Phoenix' To UK; More
- 'Help! I Can't Cook' Serves Up Record Debut In Israel; Is Keshet In The Sweet Spot Again?
- China: Understanding & Respect Key To Massive Market, But Does Anybody Know Anything?
- Global Showbiz Briefs: BBC's Hugh Bonneville Starrer 'W1A' Back For Season 2; Denmark's TDC Group Paying $2.15B For Norwegian…