Will the Supreme Court back upstart tech company Aereo in its bid to short-cut broadcasters with a service that provides an Internet connection to over-the-air TV signals? Deadline Legal Editor Dominic Patten is headed to Washington D.C. to cover tomorrow’s oral arguments before the Court. Here’s a quick primer on the legal aspects of the case and what to look for ahead of the court’s final decision, which is expected by July. (Please note that in the time since this podcast was recorded, the Supreme Court has agreed to allow the U.S. Solicitor General to join in the oral arguments on behalf of the broadcasters.) For a view on the potential business-side impacts of the case, make sure to listen to Deadline Executive Editor David Lieberman in his weekly Deadline Big Media podcast from Friday, where he and David Bloom look at whether the Aereo decision will upset the broadcast apple cart should Aereo win. Also, Lieberman and Patten collaborated on a series of stories this past week looking at “The ABCs of the Aereo Case,” beginning with this piece explaining what Aereo is.
Aereo Supreme Court Preview With Dominic Patten: Podcast
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Bloom
- 'The Voice' Dedicated App, 'Tailgate' Pre-Show Part Of NBC-Nissan Partnership
- TECH Bits: Microsoft's Mojang Deal A Bet On Community Building?
- NFL Hangs Tough At Top Of Twitter TV Ratings Despite Bad Week, Miss America, Obama
- 'WIGS' Creators Launch Indigenous Media With WPP, ITV Backing
- Machinima Names Daniel Tibbets Chief Content Officer