Universal Pictures announced that it will release the Kevin Hart-Ice Cube buddy comedy Ride Along 2 for the 2016 Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. It’s a date worked very well for the original Ride Along, which broke box office records this past MLK frame with a whopping $41.5M gross. In fact, the date is kinda known now as the Will Packer/Kevin Hart spot. Next year, Sony is releasing the duo’s The Wedding Ringer on the same holiday weekend. Adam Fields also is producing the comedy. Universal executives and the producers started working on the Ride Along sequel last month. Tim Story will direct Ride Along 2, and Hart and Ice Cube reprising their roles; Hart plays a quick-witted security guard who has his eye on Cube’s sister. The film has grossed more than $140M worldwide. A late-June/early-July start is planned, and all are hard at work finalizing the script, which is expected to have more action. Packer, Matt Alvarez and Larry Brezner will produce with Ice Cube.
Universal Stakes Out Martin Luther King Holiday Jr. 2016 For ‘Ride Along 2′
Trending Now on Deadline
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
More From Busch
- FINAL: 'Fury' Wins Box Office War With $23.7M; 'Book Of Life' At $17M; 'Gone Girl' $100M+; 'Best Of Me' $10M – B.O. Final
- '22 Jump Street' Being Re-Released Oct. 24th Only Days Before Home Entertainment Launch
- Hot Reads: DreamWorks' Stacey Snider On 'Lawrence in Arabia' And More
- 'Fury' Box Office Opens To Strong $1.2M; 'Book Of Life' To $300K – Late Nights; Friday Matinees Tumble In
- Former Film Engine's Navid McIIhargey Partners With German Financiers, Acquires First Project 'The Feud'