Universal Pictures announced that it will release the Kevin Hart-Ice Cube buddy comedy Ride Along 2 for the 2016 Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend. It’s a date worked very well for the original Ride Along, which broke box office records this past MLK frame with a whopping $41.5M gross. In fact, the date is kinda known now as the Will Packer/Kevin Hart spot. Next year, Sony is releasing the duo’s The Wedding Ringer on the same holiday weekend. Adam Fields also is producing the comedy. Universal executives and the producers started working on the Ride Along sequel last month. Tim Story will direct Ride Along 2, and Hart and Ice Cube reprising their roles; Hart plays a quick-witted security guard who has his eye on Cube’s sister. The film has grossed more than $140M worldwide. A late-June/early-July start is planned, and all are hard at work finalizing the script, which is expected to have more action. Packer, Matt Alvarez and Larry Brezner will produce with Ice Cube.
Universal Stakes Out Martin Luther King Holiday Jr. 2016 For ‘Ride Along 2′
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Busch
- John Cleese, Tech Startups, 'How Google Works': Michael Shamberg's Hot Reads
- 'Big Hero 6′ Wins B.O. As 'Interstellar' Takes Second; Monday Returns
- 'Kingdom Of Ice', Cormac McCarthy, Strong Dads: ICM's Chris Silbermann
- 'Interstellar' Friday On Par With 'Gravity' In Opening Bow – International B.O.
- 'The Hunger Games' To Go Legit As Lionsgate Aims For Stage Production
- French Say “Bonjour” To 'Interstellar'