EXCLUSIVE: True Detective star Woody Harrelson has joined the cast of Triple Nine, the John Hillcoat-directed heist thriller which begins production this summer. Open Road Films pre-bought domestic distribution rights just prior to Berlin and has pledged to give the film a wide release next year. Harrelson will play Sergeant Detective Jeffrey Allen, the uncle to the cop played by Casey Affleck. Those two meshed together well last fall in Out Of The Furnace. Harrelson joins Affleck, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Kate Winslet, Fruitvale Station’s Michael B. Jordan, Breaking Bad and Need For Speed‘s Aaron Paul, Warm Bodies’ Teresa Palmer, and Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman in the Batman Vs. Superman film). Matt Cook scripted the thriller, in which a crew of dirty cops is blackmailed by the Russian mob to execute a virtually impossible heist. The only way to pull it off is to manufacture a 999, police code for “officer down”. Their plan is turned upside down when the unsuspecting rookie they set up to die foils the attack, triggering a breakneck, action-packed finale filled with double-crosses, greed and revenge. Worldview is financing and the film is produced by Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin, Keith Redmon, and Bard Dorros, along with Sierra/Affinity. Paul Green is exec producer. Harrelson, who is finishing The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, is repped by CAA.
‘True Detective’s Woody Harrelson Joins John Hillcoat’s ‘Triple Nine’
Trending Now on Deadline
Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: CNN & Fox News Reporters Attacked On-Air; Networks Go Live To Obama Remarks Over No Indictment - Update
More From Fleming Jr
- James Cameron On 'Avatar' Sequels: 'You Will Sh*t Yourself With Your Mouth Wide Open'
- Fox Green Light Starts 'Independence Day' Sequel Countdown
- Sony Hacker Paralysis Reaches Day Two – Update
- Leslie Zemeckis Sells Book On Burlesque Siren Lili St. Cyr
- Weinstein Collars Pharrell Williams, Gwen Stefani For 'Paddington' Tune
- Wonderland Buys Insurgent Scribe Brian Duffield's 'The Babysitter' Spec In Auction