The hybrid documentary centers on a Somali pirate who hijacks ships off the African coast while struggling to be a father figure to his family. FilmBuff picked up North American rights to Last Hijack at SXSW and plans to release it theaters and on demand in the summer. Directors Tommy Pallotta and Femke Wolting splice animated re-creations into the documentary to represent the subject’s “memories, dreams and fears from his point of view.” Last Hijack, which premiered at Berlin, was produced by Wolting and Bruno Felix. The deal was negotiated by FilmBuff Head of Content Partnerships Steven Beckman and Match Factory’s Jenny Walendy and Julien Razafindranaly on behalf of the filmmakers.
SXSW: FilmBuff Seizes Control Of Pirate Docu ‘Last Hijack’ For North America
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- Pete Hammond's Telluride Q&A With Makers Of 'The Imitation Game' (Video)
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'